Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill 288, Building Opportunities in the Skilled Trades Act was introduced in parliament today.

Ontario College of Trades is changing to Skilled Trades Ontario.

Bill 288

Will the annual fees go up again?

·
Registered
Industrial Mostly, Panels and drives
109 Posts
Do they ever go down? What an embarrassment that whole system was. All I ever saw was them chasing down fees on sites, did nothing to help with the Hamilton stadium and the joke that was. Good riddance, even if the fees go up I hope they at least standardize their answers for the want to be trades people who call. Tired of a different set of hoops to jump through every time I called in.

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they ever go down? What an embarrassment that whole system was. All I ever saw was them chasing down fees on sites, did nothing to help with the Hamilton stadium and the joke that was. Good riddance, even if the fees go up I hope they at least standardize their answers for the want to be trades people who call. Tired of a different set of hoops to jump through every time I called in.
I’m worried it may get worse for our trade with this new bill 288. Fees will be the least of our worries.
It’s wait and see for now.

Here is the bill for those interested.
Bill 288

·
Registered
Master Electrician - Ontario
3,581 Posts
You would have to hold them side by side to see the differences, but there does not look like much on the surface. Near the end of the document there is a number of "repealed" sections in the ratio section. Likely relates to the proposal that an apprentice can have a training contract with more then one employer; similar to the current union set-up where the union is the holder of the training contract and not the company that the apprentice works for.

Cheers
John

·
Light Bender
plumber
6,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
You would have to hold them side by side to see the differences, but there does not look like much on the surface. Near the end of the document there is a number of "repealed" sections in the ratio section. Likely relates to the proposal that an apprentice can have a training contract with more then one employer; similar to the current union set-up where the union is the holder of the training contract and not the company that the apprentice works for.

Cheers
John
Yeah, seems like a new name, but the same thing. Curious to see what the annual fees will be.

Apparently compliance and enforcement will be taken care of by the MLTSD and everything else will be with STO (The new OCOT).
STO plans to simplify the problems apprentices have with registering for their exam by developing a “one stop shop” approach. That’s a good thing IMO.

They also may change the scope of practice for our trade as that is one of the things on the table for phase 2 of this “skilled trades panel”. Hope it ends up in our favour.

News release

EBMag

Sorry, I edited this post about 5 times due to errors

·
Registered
Industrial Mostly, Panels and drives
109 Posts
Not sad to see them go. All they ever did was chase people for dues what ridiculousness. Glad to see that got mentioned in the article. Not sure about the replacement though, see what becomes of it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts