Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 243 Posts

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this half in on Tuesday, gonna mount a 100 amp 3r panel next to it tomorrow for temp power. Need them to come by a plug in a meter.
The crews are always nice enough to furnish me with everything I need to tie it in for them:laughing:

Attachments

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The PortaPotties? :rolleyes:
At the demand rate they want this house done, not a bad idea to run a temp pullchain in there too. I might get stuck using it after dark.

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I didn't say the method used.. only it is not stealing power....
Using unmetered power is not theft...yeah, ok. :laughing: I bet if the LIPA power theft investigators stopped by that job site they would think otherwise.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Actully it is stealing and the fact the field workers don't care does not change that fact.
Stealing in your eyes only.. LIPA "understands" that sometimes in the real world... something you know nothing about.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:... you have to do things to get the job back online...

By now there would be some kind of company policy listed in their Red Book if they has a problem with what happens out in the field...

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
Stealing in your eyes only.. LIPA "understands" that sometimes in the real world... something you know nothing about.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:... you have to do things to get the job back online...

By now there would be some kind of company policy listed in their Red Book if they has a problem with what happens out in the field...
I guarantee that LIPA has written policies against using unmetered power.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

They had a ladies meter jumped for 1 year waiting for her to get it replaced. They have field jumpers and plastic plaques the fit over them just for that situation. NY might suck because of our liberal elected politicians stupid people elect, but I'm sure glad I don't live in places like those idiot posters do.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Using unmetered power is not theft...yeah, ok. :laughing: I bet if the LIPA power theft investigators stopped by that job site they would think otherwise.
They did on another site, what did they do? Plugged a meter in for us on the spot.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, sure they did. Because you would never tell a lie.
Yack, yack, yack, yada, yada, yada.............yawn

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Power theft aside, using a piece of romex connected to the jaws of a meter socket is hack work.
Yack, yack, yack, yada, yada, yada...........yawn

Reactions: HARRY304E

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
I guarantee that LIPA has written policies against using unmetered power.
I have done plenty of service changes where there was no meter to complete the job...

So I took #6 THHN bent it in a "U" shape and stuck it in the jaws...

Then I took the cardboard that comes with the MP.. put it in a plastic bag.. and put it behind the MP cover...

I NEVER got a phone call or letter telling me what I did was unsafe.. against policy.. or hack...

But YOU seem to know more about my power company than I do... :rolleyes::rolleyes::no:

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
MTW said:
Power theft aside, using a piece of romex connected to the jaws of a meter socket is hack work.
What about alligator clips with an in line fuse?

·
Banned
16,967 Posts
I have done plenty of service changes where there was no meter to complete the job...

So I took #6 THHN bent it in a "U" shape and stuck it in the jaws...

Then I took the cardboard that comes with the MP.. put it in a plastic bag.. and put it behind the MP cover...

I NEVER got a phone call or letter telling me what I did was unsafe.. against policy.. or hack...

But YOU seem to know more about my power company than I do... :rolleyes::rolleyes::no:
What you did and can get away with versus official LIPA policy are two completely different things. Maybe they are lenient in some situations but if you caught someone on a bad day they could prosecute you if they wanted to.

1 - 20 of 243 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.