Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The contractor thought the box was supposed to be flush with the top of the slab. Now we have about 5/8" of wood floor going in, how do you extend a PVC floor box?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I dealt with the same sort of issue but with tile floor so only about half inch down. It ended up not being an issue at all as the insert you glue in to attach the cover too was about 1 inch deep.... Atleast in my case so I felt comfortable that it would hold up fine only glued in about the half inch.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Yeah I agree, it should be fine.. you can make it work, unless you trying to turn this into a make-work project to back charge. In that case, it's going to be a 2 day job!!

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,054 Posts
Not sure if there is a listed means to extend that box however you could take another box cut it and try to pvc glue it to the box in the slab.

You might also be able to use flat strapping and link the two pieces together-- I don't think the glue alone will work.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,054 Posts
Tell the contractor that next time leave the box sticking up a few inches as you can always cut off the excess-- I think they are designed for that purpose.

·
Electrical Simpleton
3,350 Posts
What type of wire is in the floor box?

Pete

·
cool cat
332 Posts
I had the same problem only my box was about 1.5" or so below the slab due to the builder adding another sill plate after I had been there and did my slab work on a polished concrete floor.He did not notify me so the concrete guys buried them, one still came out flush but the other was low.I cut a 3"(I think it was 3") piece of electrical pvc which fit just inside the floor box and kind of used it as an internal coupling.Of course you have to cut a new foor box off about 2 " or so to bring it flush and glue them , but it worked.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I have nothing to add but....I hate everything about floor boxes.

For all practical purposes, it should just be a standard sized 1G box and an unbreakable cover.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I don't want to be one of those "you should" have guys.

But aren't those boxes made to be cut off later to be flush?

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have cut what I need from another floor box and screwed through it into the bottom part of the wood floor, tile floor just use some type of strapping

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Yes, they are. Problem is I wasn't there for the pour and the GC thought it was supposed to be flush.
I probably wouldn't have left It up to the GC .

That being said, if he decided the height, he hit it dead on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts