Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call yesterday about loss of power/lights flickering. House was a disaster, service was an absolute mess. No dead front on open outdoor panel, no main breaker, riser barely hanging on to house, weeds and bushes all around service... Just a mess. anyway, told the guy he needed a new service for sure, but That I'd check for loose existing connections and try to get him power for the night. Opened up the meter base, line side looked discolored on one side. I thought maybe I could tighten the lug and get him through the night anyway. Pulled the meter.... Top left of socket totally disintegrated. 1-0 alum hit the aluminum meter brace. Burnt a good hole in my shirt, and burnt my chest, welded some slag to my wedding ring.

Be careful out there!!!

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
With all due respect to your impeccable customer service

quit trying to be a hero Legacy, it usually leaves kids calling someone else 'dad'

i'll now refrain from my own pot/kettle incidents, and let the crew shun & flog you appropriately....

~CS~

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
With all due respect to your impeccable customer service

quit trying to be a hero Legacy, it usually leaves kids calling someone else 'dad'

i'll now refrain from my own pot/kettle incidents, and let the crew shun & flog you appropriately....

~CS~
:blink:

What should have he done Steve?

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
:blink:

What should have he done Steve?
Called the power company and let them cut the drop and pull the meter. :rolleyes:

We aren't allowed to pull any meter here and this incident and others like it are the reasoning behind it.

Glad you are OK Legacy and it was only minor burns.

Reactions: glen1971

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
I am glad you are OK. We dont pull meters here either. If that happened to one of my employees in Missouri I would be charged with a crime.
Just be happy the customer isn't pulling some you broke it you bought it bs on you.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We pull meters ALL the time here. Poco often misdiagnoses problem as customers. I admit fault, and I guarantee I'll pay more attention. Glad for a chance to do so! Visions good. Hurt my pride more than anything.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If poco cuts the drop, they want 100% code compliance before reattaching here. That's laughable for some of these folks. Would cost them more than they earn in a few months.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, what DOES it take to blow the fuse out by the road on the transformer?! I was amazed that after it cooked it was still hot!

·
IBEW L.U. 1852
5,261 Posts
If poco cuts the drop, they want 100% code compliance before reattaching here. That's laughable for some of these folks. Would cost them more than they earn in a few months.
Understandable but if you're allowed to pull the meter.....which obviously you are.....suit up and make sure you go home to the family.:thumbsup:

I hate losing a job to other EC's :laughing:...but I hate it more when they get hurt on the job.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rollie73 said:
Understandable but if you're allowed to pull the meter.....which obviously you are.....suit up and make sure you go home to the family.:thumbsup: I hate losing a job to other EC's :laughing:...but I hate it more when they get hurt on the job.
Lesson learned brother. I'll be the ONLY guy that does... But I bet you I'm not face to face with that arc again without something on.

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,070 Posts
So, what DOES it take to blow the fuse out by the road on the transformer?! I was amazed that after it cooked it was still hot!
good to see you are okay.
Those cutouts handle a lot of load. Remember, they are on the 25kv line.
I've had one blow immediately when a backhoe boom touched the line.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Second or two dead short to 1/8 aluminum will NOT blow it. In case anyone was wondering!

No one has asked what I did next.... Probably best!

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,070 Posts
Second or two dead short to 1/8 aluminum will NOT blow it. In case anyone was wondering!

No one has asked what I did next.... Probably best!
changed your panties:laughing::laughing:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wcord said:
changed your panties:laughing::laughing:
After that! And after the smoke quit billowing out of the weather head....

Cut it loose, strung some 2-0 I had on the truck up the existing riser, had a new pan on the truck, and Polaris tapped it.

No invoice. Probably never get paid... Probably shouldn't!!!!

What's a guy to do though. Live and learn.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pocos meter was melted on the back side from the months of loose connection... Did call them and tell them to come change that. Hopefully they'll resqueeze the drop when they see the Polaris taps.

They're way better off... But nowhere close to right.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts