Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night the electrical company found an open neutral coming in. Range on one leg was 126v to 130v other 110v to 114v, would an open neutral cause higher usage of electric or higher KW usage?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm not sure I understand how they had voltages on either "leg" when the open neutral effectively eliminates the "legs."

However, a higher than normal resistance on the neutral leg, such as a bad connection, would serve to waste consumption, meaning the customer would be paying for watts used without any benefit.

In my experience, when the voltage on either "leg" decreases with increased load, it indicates line losses, either from the meter to the pole or from the meter to the panel. I just looked into a customer complaint of some of his lights dimming when he turned on a shop vac. Turns out, his house is at the end of about 200+ feet of wire from the transformer to the meter. Pretty much can't do anything about it except eliminate any wiring problems on his side of the meter.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
32,734 Posts
Loosing the system neutral conductor can indeed result in a higher kw reading on the meter, depending on how the grounding/ plumbing is done in the area. Grounded metal water pipe that is continuous to the other houses on the same particular utility transformer can become your "neutral" in those circumstances, via the other houses service as a path back to the utility transformer for the neutral current. Depending on the impedance of that path, it affects the consumption. Not a healthy setup for plumbers either.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,797 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators/Admin of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

As stated in the sign up page, ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.