Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my 2 year electrical and HVAC program at my local community college. However, Our instructor didn't give us much information on where we should seek our first job. Any opinions from you guys? Small contractors? Power companies? Maybe chemical plants? Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks!

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I just finished my 2 year electrical and HVAC program at my local community college. However, Our instructor didn't give us much information on where we should seek our first job. Any opinions from you guys? Small contractors? Power companies? Maybe chemical plants? Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks!
Call every electrical contractor until you've got a job, that is how we all did it.

The squeaky wheel get's the geese.....:thumbup:

·
More than lead and elbows
579 Posts
Mcclary said what I didn't want to, that's why you need an "apprenticeship" of some sort. it's not that you you don't know anything, it's more like you don't know a damn thing... Hell I've been at this almost 10 years and haven't even scratched the surface... Sure you can replace a recep or a switch, so can anybody else with a screwdriver. Call around, that two years is not for nothing though, it will help you get into a place like the IEC or JATC.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Dont listen to the ones who have to put people down on the internet to feel good about themselves.

It's what you want to do, and you will have no idea how to find that out until you try a few. If youre young, try new construction commericial. Avoid being a romex runner. You'll never learn a thing doing residential. It will pay the bills, there's a lot of work in most of the country right now. Start out in a smaller shop where you will get some attention from a journeyman or such.

·
Registered
7,985 Posts
I would get in on the ground floor of the gas industry. Look at the new plants around Wheeling. Or work the pipeline.You're young.Don't be afraid to relocate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies everyone. So my best bet would be to call the Ibew or JATC and use my 2 years to get into that? Just to be sure I'm understanding correctly.

·
Super Moderator
16,346 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone. So my best bet would be to call the Ibew or JATC and use my 2 years to get into that? Just to be sure I'm understanding correctly.
Yes, that would be your best bet.
Best training.
Best benefits.
Best pay.

Call today and get instructions on how to apply and when.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay thank you guys so much. Just for some extra info, what's the typical day of a JACT electrician like? Or just any extra information you can give me about the program?

·
579 Posts
Okay thank you guys so much. Just for some extra info, what's the typical day of a JACT electrician like? Or just any extra information you can give me about the program?
All depends on where you are dispatched, could be a big commercial construction project, maintenance gig, industrial shutdown, service calls, remodels, could and should be all types of work! You will learn and meet some great guys with a lot of knowledge!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All depends on where you are dispatched, could be a big commercial construction project, maintenance gig, industrial shutdown, service calls, remodels, could and should be all types of work! You will learn and meet some great guys with a lot of knowledge!

Okay thank you that's the kind of information I need. I probably sound stupid for asking this and no one probably has the answer to it, but should the JATC accept me?

·
579 Posts
Okay thank you that's the kind of information I need. I probably sound stupid for asking this and no one probably has the answer to it, but should the JATC accept me?
Get your butt over there and fill out the application! :thumbup:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not sure what part of VA you're from but there are a number of decent sized companies in my area alone that offer formal apprenticeships in electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc. I'm sure there are others across the state. My suggestion is to get some applications turned in.

·
BlackWhale49
30 Posts
I'm not sure where you live but the Independent Electrical Contractors Association (IEC) has a great apprenticeship program. It is a 4 year program that goes hand in hand with your OJT. There are a lot of open merit shop contractors that you can apply to. They pay a percentage based on the JM wage as we'll. I went through the IEC program and having the classroom education while you work is invaluable. In addition the Associated Builders and Contractors has an electrical apprenticeship program in some areas. I don't know much about it but you need to get into one of the three programs if you're going to be an electrician. Good luck to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts