Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If failed to concise my problem in the title, I ordered surface mount fixtures for a garage and received fixtures with a sticker on the back *not approved for surface mount.* I was pretty upset but was wondering what could be the safety risk.

The fixtures are stonco 4 lamp 54w t5ho hibays. (TBN454EB18) I see no reason why it cannot be surface mounted, they have standoffs seemingly designed for surface mounted purposes.
http://www.stonco.com/uploads/library/Spec/TBN.pdf

Is it because of the heat the ballast produces?

The most important question: What, if any, safety concerns are there if I surface mount these fixtures? I feel that it just wasn't UL listed for that purpose, and no safety concerns exist, but I am just a apprentice on his first real side job.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I must be strange but my first thought would be return them and get the right fixtures.

If the fixture has a label that says not for surface mounting I am not going to mount them on the surface.

BTW, it's great to see the results of union training paying off and the likely illegal side jobbing being done.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must be strange but my first thought would be return them and get the right fixtures.

If the fixture has a label that says not for surface mounting I am not going to mount them on the surface.

BTW, it's great to see the results of union training paying off and the likely illegal side jobbing being done.

thank you I appreciate your helpful, up building post. I am in the process of returning them, but your post doesn't answer the question of why are they not suitable for surface mount when it seems plain that the fixture housing is designed to.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Sorry, can't help you, and don't want to.

I hate Union guys doing side work without the proper insurance and experience, and besides, you take food out of other legit merit contractors babies mouths.

Have a good day...

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts

I hate Union guys doing side work without the proper insurance and experience, and besides, you take food out of other legit merit contractors babies mouths.

Have a good day...
That is a losing battle.. here we have plenty of cops and firemen that run side businesses on their days off...

At least the Union guy is in the trade and has some knowledge of what he is doing..

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
If he was a true hack side jobber, he would have figured out a way to surface mount them.

OP: They're not approved for surface mounting because they're not designed for surface mounting.

·
Electrical Contractor
Owner
4,243 Posts
As the others have stated, not excited about work being taken away from licensed contractors. You are assuming a great deal of liability if anything goes wrong.

But, in the interest of education, all ballasts create heat. Some more than others. So, the manufacturer has determined, that fixture requires adequate ventilation to prevent premature failure.
There are some fixtures which are designed to allow mounting directly on the surface, however, most of those have a small offset built into the frame, allowing air to circulate.

Good for you to recognize that the fixture you received is not rated for surface mount. Many apprentices and Journeymen, would not have noticed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so when I took the fixtures back to the supply house I asked him the same thing I am currently asking you: why isn't approved for such a use? he kindly stated what wcord said. There are slits in the top of the fixture that cannot be blocked to allow airflow to cool the ballast and avoid premature failure and unsatisfactory operation. He did not know of any safety concerns. There needs to be at least 4" of space to allow for proper ventilation. I really was hoping to use 54w t5hos but there probably isn't a surface mounted fixture that has said ballast. Didn't want to use 4' t8 tandems, but looks like that's my best bet now.

I am really taken back by the responses on this thread. Only one is helpful, all the rest are rather disparaging. You all seemed to think I was going to use the fixtures. If it says I cannot install it a certain way, why would I? If I could help anyone, tradesman or not, union or not, I would and I thought others here would be like minded. I guess not.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
If failed to concise my problem in the title, I ordered surface mount fixtures for a garage and received fixtures with a sticker on the back *not approved for surface mount.* I was pretty upset but was wondering what could be the safety risk.

The fixtures are stonco 4 lamp 54w t5ho hibays. (TBN454EB18) I see no reason why it cannot be surface mounted, they have standoffs seemingly designed for surface mounted purposes.

The most important question: What, if any, safety concerns are there if I surface mount these fixtures? I feel that it just wasn't UL listed for that purpose, and no safety concerns exist, but I am just a apprentice on his first real side job.
In bold you will see the reason why you didn't get much help burning down someones house.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts

Have a good day...
There ya go. Yeah that's helpful turn your back on him! Yeah he'll learn that way. Bro

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
so when I took the fixtures back to the supply house I asked him the same thing I am currently asking you: why isn't approved for such a use? he kindly stated what wcord said. There are slits in the top of the fixture that cannot be blocked to allow airflow to cool the ballast and avoid premature failure and unsatisfactory operation. He did not know of any safety concerns. There needs to be at least 4" of space to allow for proper ventilation. I really was hoping to use 54w t5hos but there probably isn't a surface mounted fixture that has said ballast. Didn't want to use 4' t8 tandems, but looks like that's my best bet now.

I am really taken back by the responses on this thread. Only one is helpful, all the rest are rather disparaging. You all seemed to think I was going to use the fixtures. If it says I cannot install it a certain way, why would I? If I could help anyone, tradesman or not, union or not, I would and I thought others here would be like minded. I guess not.
You need to be careful! with your work and your union. We join unions for a cause and wire things properly for a cause.

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
I am really taken back by the responses on this thread. Only one is helpful, all the rest are rather disparaging.
I am also taken aback that professionals on this website have the gall to disparage an apprentice doing illegal side work.

Who do you legitimate professional contractors and journeymen think you are with your skills, knowledge and licenses! HOW DARE YOU!

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Don't mind these fools bud. I've cut corners on multi million dollar machines and I'll be damned if I ever let some manufacturer instructions stop me from doing what's right. **** em, get paid

·
Banned
7,230 Posts
lol What pony boy says is true, we've all done it and will do it again tomorrow.

It's even better when it's apprentice side jobs for cash, what do these fools expect?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
There ya go. Yeah that's helpful turn your back on him! Yeah he'll learn that way. Bro
Sorry, have to urn my back on him, and so should every legit EC.

He is doing illegal work. He has no insurance, is not a legal business, and is violating his agreement with the Union, that he so very much cherishes.

I highly doubt he will turn his back, when the Union tells him to go picket someone for taking away work from them.

Full cirlce, bro, full circle.......

·
Super Moderator
Licensed Electrical Contractor
11,768 Posts
...., I ordered surface mount fixtures for a garage and received fixtures with a sticker on the back *not approved for surface mount.*
This is where you made your first big mistake.
These are quite obviously NOT surface mount fixtures.
Right on the first page of the catalog listing, under "Product Specifications":
"Accepts stem, pendant, chain or cable mounting."
You and your supply house friend missed this tidbit.

·
Premium Member
18,553 Posts

Union trained electrician here:

They would most likely be just fine but, they were not tested as "surface mount" . Maybe due to the way the fixture is vented or something like that.
Put a fender washer between the fixture and the ceiling and call it a stand-off and all is good. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts