Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned in another thread that I was going to try some samples ordering LED bulbs directly from China at a significant cost savings.

So far I've received ~100 bulbs and installed them in our facilities. I'm sharing in case anyone else is interested in ordering. I doubt they would be a factor for most residential jobs, but for guys like me with several commercial buildings I am on staff with and have a budget, they could prove very useful.

First, these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10X-...2-E12-Par20-3X3W-9W-Spotlight/1470402091.html

They're advertised as PAR20 but they're actually smaller, I'd call them a PAR16 short neck. I ordered 120v, they sent me bulbs labeled 220v but assured me they would work fine on 120v and they did. I got the 30 degree beam angle (which is more spot than flood), warm white, non-dimmable. They work out to being $2.70 per bulb, shipping included. They feel very cheap and lightweight, but they are in fact brighter than the cheapest similar bulb Menards sells ($9 each) and do not get NEARLY as hot to the touch as most of the LED bulbs I've bought from Menards or the supply house. I've had several of them burning 24/7 for about 3 weeks now, and no failures. Interestingly I noticed the exact same bulbs being used in a Chipotle that just opened. Their "warm white" is a little less pink than most, which is fine by me.

Next up I tried these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4pcs...arm-White-Cool-White-LED-Bulb/1688657168.html

They are a true PAR20 and more similar to what I've bought locally. I got 60 degree beam angle, warm white, non-dimmable. Their warm white is the more typical "slightly pink" warm white I am used to. These are for all intents and purposes very similar to the PAR20s from Menards, Home Depot, etc, except they are about 200 lumens less (the manufacturer's lumens rating seems accurate). They worked out to being $5.75/lamp. They also operate a lot cooler to the touch than the Menards ones. I've had some of these burning 24/7 for about a week with no failures.

These arrived today:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...-265V-Lifespan-50000H-CE-RoHS/1663647796.html

I have had more interaction with this seller than any of the others. They didnt make the bulbs until I ordered them, the other sellers seemed to have them ready to ship. They were very responsive and their customer service was very good, however they seemed very new to the online ordering process and missed the deadline to have them shipped by. Rather than say anything I extended the deadline a week and they met it with no issue. I ordered 9W, 45 degree beam angle, warm white, non-dimmable. They worked out to being around $7/bulb. They are short neck PAR30 which wasnt clear from the ordering page, I was expecting long neck (which usually are cheaper). They are a traditional slightly pink warm white with excellent light quality, probably best of the three.

I have some PAR38's on the way from the same seller as the PAR30.

I also am going to try these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10X-...-E12-Par20-3X4W-12W-Spotlight/1567288196.html

From the same seller as the first ones.

If anyone else cares about this, let me know and I'll keep updating.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I have also imported LED lamps from Hong Kong,
much much cheaper !
Around $2 a piece.
Quality is not the best ! but at that price who cares if a lamp fails ?
You just replace it !
The same lamps average $30 in Australian market place !
Bought via ALI EXPRESS !
Some even send orders at no charge for freight!
China Post can be slow, but if its free who cares !

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
We're able to get the very same product(s) directly from the 3rd world sweat shops , as are sold via the major manufacturers who own them now:rolleyes:

In fact, one can sit them all side by side, even take a hammer to inspect the guts of 'em, to reveal zero difference.;)

But they would still be considered 'counterfeit', sans a domestic NRTL (many of which are independent entities , if you catch my drift :whistling2:)

And we'd fall into the category of those full page ads in the trade rags portraying our kind behind bars:(

~CS~

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have also imported LED lamps from Hong Kong,
much much cheaper !
Around $2 a piece.
Quality is not the best ! but at that price who cares if a lamp fails ?
You just replace it !
The same lamps average $30 in Australian market place !
Bought via ALI EXPRESS !
Some even send orders at no charge for freight!
China Post can be slow, but if its free who cares !
Do you have a link to the ones you bought?

In searching AliBaba and AliExpress, I have seen the exact same products as sold by US Companies, sometimes even down to the logo. They're pennies on the dollar.

I feel guilty when I think about how much the workers in the Chinese factories are making . . . then I remember they're making the same amount when I buy the FEIT or Sylvania, but then FEIT and Sylvania are getting the profits.

Shipping does take 2 weeks to a month and a half.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be more worried about fires, inspection, liability & reputation than the price, which would be passed on to the user.
I wouldnt recommend passing them on to a customer unless they are listed and certified. I feel comfortable using the, in our own buildings.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They look indistinguishable from the ones sold here, and they operate cooler. The biggest cause of LED bulb fire and failure is heat.

Plus it appears they have certifications and meet various compliance standards, just not always those commonly used in the US. From looking at their sales histories, most of the direct sales are to Europe and Asia.

SOME of the factories do have Energy Star and other US listings, however it seems in most cases, the US importers buy the bulbs from the factories and get them listed themselves, and that is in part what we are paying for.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are MR16s, I dont use many of those . . .

·
Conservitum Americum
8,921 Posts
Your post reads non dimmable but all the bulbs you linked to are dimmable.

What is the difference? Is it a product of circuitry?

Reactions: dspiffy

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All the bulbs I linked have an option for getting non-dimmable, or dimmable for a few dollars more (per lot). You select which you want, along with white color temperature, wattage, etc.

I have no idea what the difference is electronically, whether it's the power supply or the LEDs themselves. I am about to ask one of the factories, I'll let you know what they say.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Utter nonsence frunk !
I have used these types of LED lamps !
They are not dangerous !
The only downside is shorter life !
But the low cost negates this.

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nevermind that our buildings are not church buildings . . .

I've heard of more fires from UL listed CFLs than I have from LEDs of any listing. I've seen CFLs fail dramatically in a cloud of black smoke, the only LEDs I've seen fail have quietly stopped working.

I do a visual inspection of the bulbs when I install them, and a "touch test" for heat. I've taken one of each type apart to inspect. I feel comfortable with them.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
All the bulbs I linked have an option for getting non-dimmable, or dimmable for a few dollars more (per lot). You select which you want, along with white color temperature, wattage, etc.

I have no idea what the difference is electronically, whether it's the power supply or the LEDs themselves. I am about to ask one of the factories, I'll let you know what they say.
Why don't you get some and try them out ?
No good asking people wno have not used them ?

·
1,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I actually have an order of dimmable on it's way to me now.

·
Registered
178 Posts
dspiffy said:
Nevermind that our buildings are not church buildings . . . I've heard of more fires from UL listed CFLs than I have from LEDs of any listing. I've seen CFLs fail dramatically in a cloud of black smoke, the only LEDs I've seen fail have quietly stopped working. I do a visual inspection of the bulbs when I install them, and a "touch test" for heat. I've taken one of each type apart to inspect. I feel comfortable with them.
I disagree here, and agree with Mr. Frunk here. If you run any sort if business you cannot be installing a bulb/lamp that is not UL or CSA listed and of you do and something happens, someone will be coming for you sooner or later! Hope you have some good business insurance. These items are usally cheaper cause they cut the safety precautions out of them that they require them to get the listings from UL and CSA. Garbage to us.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts