Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to take the exam this year. I'm trying to get together the materials I will need to study, but I don't know what to expect for this test. I've been looking for study materials online and stuff but I don't know which ones are trustworthy and pricing for the stuff is all over the place. Are there any books or materials you would recommend? I don't want to spend time and money where it isn't going to be relevant. Are there any practice exams I should look into so I can get an idea of what to expect? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
13,020 Posts
The Mike Holt Exam Prep book is good.

You'll need:

• the current NEC (the 2014 should be adopted in April or May I believe)
  • current Oregon Electrical Specialty Code
  • might be worth becoming passingly familiar with ORS 479 and OAR 918.
  • go to the Oregon BCD website and dig around the Electrical Program page for a while. Plenty of info on there, including Journeyman and Supervisor testing. http://www.cbs.state.or.us/bcd/programs/electrical.html

·
Registered
36 Posts
Start with Mike Holts understanding the NEC. Begins with questions from the beginning of the code book to the end and then test questions in the back. I used this for writing my test. It'll really helps with finding answers fast. The Ferms Fast Finder is also a much larger key word index than Tom Henry's although I use them both.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A lot of the theory questions will be stuff covered in the Uglies book so I recommend you get one of those to use on your test.

ATP also makes a decent test prep book, but keep in mind it doesn't cover anything Oregon specific. Be sure to download the Oregon rule and law, and specialty code. Highlight all articles in your NEC that have changes due the Oregon specialty code.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.