Electrician Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dont know what im looking for really. what requirements should i be mindful of? specs?.. are the cheap Chinese ones on eBay as good as name brand?.. and what about the combo w a multimeter?.. its a toy.. over 200 bucks might be a waste. any opinions?..

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
you need to decide what exactly you are going to use it for. a recording scope/voltmeter is very useful for general duty commercial work. A fast bench scope is good for electronics, but has to be faster than the stuff you want to analyze. those cheap little chinese toys are just toys. whatever you get needs to be useful for what you are looking at/for, and have probes sized accordingly. if you are looking at dropping some change, you might want to rent one and see if you like the features it has.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes I believe a scope/voltmeter is what I want. renting sounds like the way to go cause I want a handheld. but if I drop a lot of coin I want something that can do the bench type electronics too.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I suggest, before you sink a lot of money in a top of the line model,take a look at the Hantek models on Ebay. 60Mhz, color models, shipped, are in the neighborhood of $400.00. Hantek is decent for the electrician/technician starting out. If somebody wants me to use a top of the line model,they are going to buy it! If your willing,there are a ton of Tektronix bench models available at reasonable prices,also on Ebay. Good Luck!

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the insights! silly to a lot of ppl.. even the guys at work ask why ive got more into electrical theory and reading books like Soares Grounding and Bonding. it really is something i want just to play with and learn more about. ive been in the trade for 12 yrs now and never needed anything beyond my T5 for troubleshooting. maybe its me but i like to have several personal projects going on.. been thinking of taking some classes on electronics and the scope might be more useful there. and like ive told the guys i see the future of electrical becoming more like fire alarm panels.. controlled more and more by electronics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.