Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys do this class on work time or after hours? I already have the 10. A project I'm starting requires at least 1 person to have to 30 hour cert.
I'm not planning on taking it on my own time, without some compensation.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Do you guys do this class on work time or after hours? I already have the 10. A project I'm starting requires at least 1 person to have to 30 hour cert.

good luck with that, even us unions guys have to take on our own time

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I took all of my extras on my own time. The contractor (union shop) always paid for the class though. This included:
- CPR
- Arc Flash safety
- 10 hr osha
- 30 hr osha
- code update

One of the bigger GCs around here let their field superintendants take the osha 30 online in the job trailer on company time.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems like the shop picks and chooses, what they will pay guys to do. I don't feel as the 30 benefits me in any way. It actually makes my job more difficult being the only guy from my shop on this site with the training. It is almost a full week of extra training which qualifies our shop to be on site....so I think that's worth them paying for the time. I'll volunteer to take the online course while on site

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
NacBooster29 said:
It seems like the shop picks and chooses, what they will pay guys to do. I don't feel as the 30 benefits me in any way. It actually makes my job more difficult being the only guy from my shop on this site with the training. It is almost a full week of extra training which qualifies our shop to be on site....so I think that's worth them paying for the time. I'll volunteer to take the online course while on site
If they are willing to at least pay for the class and it will keep you working as a valuable asset, I would go for it. If they won't even pay for the course after basically requiring someone to take it, that is a sign of an employer who takes advantage I his guys.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
How long is the project? I have an OSHA 30... :whistling2:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I believe ralpha494 is correct, but I seem to recall the OSHA 10 being within 6 months and 30 being given by the same instructor. I have seen guys with OSHA 30 being designated safety reps for their own companies. I think Rosendin requires foremen to have the 30 cert in some places. I have never paid for OSHA classes. I narrowly missed being paid to take the 10 cert for a data center project in Oklahoma. The class before me was paid in full to take it. I urge you to get 30 certified. If for no other reason, it looks good on a resume for municipality or state jobs. A masters license and OSHA 30 can get you far in certain circles.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Commando....its a huge project. We are doing a 1/3 of the entire building for hvac controls at this point. They are drawing up the other parts of the building for bid.
We will be out in September.
Wayne J is doing the electrical for base build out and this particular tenant. It's bizarre working on the same project as our shops competition. But I don't really care.
There's a million hoops to jump through just to do any work...its a tough site to be on.

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
35,177 Posts
Board shorts and sneakers.

·
Member IBEW LU #164
2,965 Posts

Many of the jobs I have been on recently require all workers to have an OSHA 30. My hall provides the class at night, most of us have taken it on our own time.

·
ANY MONKEY CAN RUN!
1,769 Posts
Well were non union and we get paid to take it online at home or at work .
the company pays for the course .
So does your company pay for the course or do you .

Iam with that poster who said if you want me to work for you my time is paid for by you. If your personally paying for it your hard up for work or your company is worthless or broke.

Once you give in to there lack of good business practices your all done.:no:

·
Registered
430 Posts
An employee is not supposed to bear the expense of a safe work environment. Your employer requiring you to attend a safety course unpaid is no different than them requiring you to provide your own PPE.

Edit to add:
I can't believe the union posters that took this on the nose. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool merit shop electrician, and if my boss ever told me I was getting laid off for a week to go to OSHA training, I'd tell him to go pound sand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.