Electrician Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any ideas how to verify identification or how to deal with an out of state customer.... I received a phone call from a man who lives out of state and has recently purchased a property here where I live. I am requiring a 60% deposit on the work before I start. Anything else I ought to do? I would love to hear from some of you on how you would deal with this and any ideas you have, on how to protect myself, will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
Ive done a bunch of work for people who live out of town. Never ever had a problem getting paid on a residential job. Ive had a good amount of difficulty getting paid on commercial jobs. In fact im still wrestling to get my last check for an office remodel I finished in February...

I'd price them like everything, get as much as you can upfront or after the rough in. That way if any funny business happens during or before the trim, you wont be out in a bad way.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
You have a contract right?

You know the total dollar amount, you know when you will be done,
you expect no unexpected surprises?

You could tell him to send two checks one for your sixty percent, and
one post dated after final inspection!

You call Client to note that your depositing second check.

The cleint can protect themselves by using a CC, if a disprute comes out of this and if you except CC

One boss (another life) use to have post dated checks all the time.
They supply product, bang check get deposited, your situation is really no difference. This was Commwealth Laws in State of VA, you milage might vary!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is an hourly job, repairs for vandalism. I told him I need 60% of the estimated cost up front and he wants to pay by a credit card. I plan on not letting his credit go over $1000.00; which I really doubt it will considering what I think will probably need to be done.

Yes, I do have a contract. However, I really am not sure if there is any way to verify his signature. I have two documents that need to be signed. - The estimate, and the contract terms.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I do this routinely and get credit card information. I usually charge the card for a service charge at the start and charge it again for the service immediately after. On larger projects I'd get an advance. Never had a problem. I do this for out of state as well as landlords who may be an hour away from their rental and don't want to take the time to visit. I usually text or email before and after pictures.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Our largest faction in arrears are out of staters. You can get whatever paperwork, ID, or DNA you'd like , if they want to screw you , they will.

Beware of those from out of state that set up an LLC within your state, they're setting you up

~CS~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.