Electrician Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a licensed EC in Texas. We've been doing some work outside of our borders, but have to get supervisory from local contractors most of the time. I am looking into getting licensed in Electrical contracting and getting my guys licensed in other states. So far it seems a pain in the keaster. Some states we have worked in are PA, OH, OK, ect... I would also like to look into states bordering Texas. Let me say, all that I do is oilfield, gas field work. Mostly support facilities. The company that I do the work for really wants me to travel and do them, because I know their expectations. And, in most locations because of the boom, they have a hard time getting local electricians anyway. Everyone seems covered up in theses areas. What I'm looking for is insight into how to get licensed in these states. Not trying to kick any other contractors out of the saddle here, just trying to keep my customer happy. My info is, I have been a Texas State ME since 1998. Back when it was a city by city license. My first license was a Fort Worth ME and EC. This was back before PSI took over testing. I took the old SBCCI tests. Some state seem to not want to accept that? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
RIP 1959-2015
10,750 Posts
I am a licensed EC in Texas. We've been doing some work outside of our borders, but have to get supervisory from local contractors most of the time. I am looking into getting licensed in Electrical contracting and getting my guys licensed in other states. So far it seems a pain in the keaster. Some states we have worked in are PA, OH, OK, ect... I would also like to look into states bordering Texas. Let me say, all that I do is oilfield, gas field work. Mostly support facilities. The company that I do the work for really wants me to travel and do them, because I know their expectations. And, in most locations because of the boom, they have a hard time getting local electricians anyway. Everyone seems covered up in theses areas. What I'm looking for is insight into how to get licensed in these states. Not trying to kick any other contractors out of the saddle here, just trying to keep my customer happy. My info is, I have been a Texas State ME since 1998. Back when it was a city by city license. My first license was a Fort Worth ME and EC. This was back before PSI took over testing. I took the old SBCCI tests. Some state seem to not want to accept that? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Here is a list of each state license requirements.

One way to not have to take the test in states that require it is to simply hire someone in that state for his license.

http://www.necanet.org/professional...ing-requirements/state-electrical-regulations

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why don't some states recip with others? They should standardize the qualifications. I wish all states would reciprocate. It would make life easier for an on the road electrical contractor like me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.