Electrician Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do companies usually handle this? If someone is driving 90 minutes each way, are the employees on the hook for getting themselves there. (I.e. vehicle, and gas bill). Seems like it would make it hard for a lot people to work with those costs

·
Registered
678 Posts
The company I work for does a few things. If you live within 75 miles of the office the project is being run out of, you just thank em for the opportunity.

If you live outside of the 75 mile radius, they pay you a little extra per hour, tell you to keep quiet, but someone always finds out..

If the job is over 75 miles outside of the radius, we generally pack as many smelly electricians into smelly company trucks and ride out.

The temp service we use will pay the guys a per diem that they can use for either hotel, apartment or gas.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I ran a job for a month 3+ hours from home. I stayed over in a hotel. I had to share a room with one other guy. But we basically worked 10-12 hour shifts. Not much free time.
My shop (non union) pays guys who use their own vehicle mileage after 30 miles.
I have a company van that I drive home and a gas card.
I have heard of guys commuting 2+ hours. That's not for me. I would rather take a layoff.
That is like working a 12 hour shift for 8 hours pay. It adds up mentally.
Generally my shop tries to keep guys within an hour commute. That's not a rule. And there are exceptions

·
Registered
830 Posts
We are similar to NACbooster.

I ran a job 4 hours from home and they put me up in a hotel with another guy Monday through Friday with paid drive time. We drove a company vehicle as well.

For other jobs in the area I will "donate" an hour of my time each way. If it takes me longer then I get paid for that time.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
I have only known a few guys that don't commute long miles here in Cali. Generally, you work no where near where you live, it is just part of it here. Be smart and never buy a truck, get a nice small little fuel sipper and carpool whenever possible.

·
Bilge Rat
motors and controls.........
8,894 Posts
If the job is more than 2 hours from the shop, the company I work for gives us $60 a day. That's it; you're on your own to get there and back.

I have a company van and a gas card, most guys have to use their own cars and pay for their own gas.

If it's less than 2 hours, you're expected to arrive at 7AM on your own time.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I report to the office at 8:00 am to pick up my van, driving to the job site is normal pay.

If I need to report anywhere other than the office, I get paid mileage from my house to the job site, on my own time.

·
Registered
Arsholeprentice
7,353 Posts
I know plenty of Union guys that drive 70-100 miles every day, all on their own dime in their own cars. They make $20 more per hour in the bay than in the central valley.

It's not a Union/Non-Union thing, it's life in California.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Our shops travel policy is that if you are within 30km of the site then you are expected to be able to get yourself to and from work.

Anything beyond that then we provide a company vehicle and fuel.

Any projects that require traveling 100 km+ then we pay travel time as well.

Most of the guys take advantage of the shop vehicles to get to work.

·
Senior Moment
7,944 Posts
If I have to travel far they pay for the air fare, hotel, meals and rental car. In state I drive a Suburban.
My office is 40 miles from home so I bought a fun little car for the commute, a Fiesta ST. My other vehicle is a Excursion, 10 MPG vs 32.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
I recently made 4 trips out of town our company paid me drive time and $145 a day for food and lodging.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts