Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not done an outdoor hot tub install yet and would like to know what kind of panels everyone uses and any pictures if you have them. I am just looking for ideas right now so I can get a better idea on how to do it.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
The big box stores sells a disconnect with a dp 50 gfci breaker in it cheaper than you can buy at the supply house. You can also just install a gfci at the main panel and just use an a/c wp disconnect

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,537 Posts
Some disconnects are provided by the manufacturer so all you need is a standard non fused disconnect.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
RRolls, you don't need a disco for sing fam resi, but most of us do it anyways, make sure it's at least 5' away, no more than 50' if you do...

You do need to make some #8 solid off the Gbar , usually outside the control panel, run it around the tub under the deck if you can

~CS~

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
like Dennis said, if it's a new tub, a lot of times the disco is supplied.. Most of the ones I installed use a 4 pole disco (2 2 pole breakers), but it varies. You can get a 5 pole in case they want a single pole for outside plug or lights, but those are not generally stocked around here and have to be ordered.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RRolls, you don't need a disco for sing fam resi, but most of us do it anyways, make sure it's at least 5' away, no more than 50' if you do...

You do need to make some #8 solid off the Gbar , usually outside the control panel, run it around the tub under the deck if you can

~CS~
Will be on a deck that is off the ground about 3 feet what is the best way to do that in this situation.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
The outdoor hot tub I'm doing now will sit on a concrete pad. An equipotential bonding grid is required here in NJ. You might need to do that where you live too. Also, the equipment grounding conductor for the circuit is sized by Table 250.122.

·
EC & CI
389 Posts
Do any of you guys working off the 2011 code install a #8 bare copper wire (equipotential bonding) around the perimeter of the hot tub if it's installed on a deck, such as the underside of the deck? Seems pointless to me.

Also what do you do if it's being installed on concrete, but the slab has already been poured with no wire extending from the rebar?

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
Do any of you guys working off the 2011 code install a #8 bare copper wire (equipotential bonding) around the perimeter of the hot tub if it's installed on a deck, such as the underside of the deck? Seems pointless to me.

Also what do you do if it's being installed on concrete, but the slab has already been poured with no wire extending from the rebar?
You'll still have to bond the deck. 680 makes no exceptions for deck surfaces. Wood gets wet and becomes conductive. As for the concrete, get out your wet saw.

·
Flex Bits & Blindfolds
1,120 Posts
I figured as much. But if it's an existing deck with no access underneath that's a bit difficult. Also what do you typically bond? Run and staple the #8 on the underside of the decking and around each joist?
Yes, just staple it to the joists. If it existing and sitting on the ground, normally the inspector will let me bore holes and bond it where it's accessible. I'll use a 1/2" Greenlee Versa bit with extensions for the hard to reach places.

·
Registered
880 Posts

~CS~
I thought the exception on residential spas was for the emergency shutoff, not the service disconnect.

·
Registered
880 Posts
680.40 tells us that spas and hot tubs shall comply with parts I and IV of article 680.
680.42 tells us that outdoor installations of spas and hot tubs shall comply with parts I and II. I interpret this to mean the installation shall comply with 680.26(2)(a) regarding equipotential bonding of steel reinforcing within the poured slab that the spa sits on.

HOWEVER in 2011 this was amended by the following TIA which was issued after lobbying by the packaged spa manufacturers.

http://iaeivirginia.com/clientuploads/pdfs/TIA70_11_1.pdf

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.