Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a customer who wants to hang a few swag lights in his backyard trees i live in phoenix not a ton of rain but bad heat that corrodes wires i really cannot think of how to do this to code let alone safely. Customer exclaims that a friend of his has some in her trees just fine... I am sure we all know that doesn't mean it is safe. I am just curios on what some of the more experienced guys think. Is this possible? If not what could be a neat enough alternative to ease the let down. Customer really has his heart set on this.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,624 Posts
I have a customer who wants to hang a few swag lights in his backyard trees i live in phoenix not a ton of rain but bad heat that corrodes wires i really cannot think of how to do this to code let alone safely. Customer exclaims that a friend of his has some in her trees just fine... I am sure we all know that doesn't mean it is safe. I am just curios on what some of the more experienced guys think. Is this possible? If not what could be a neat enough alternative to ease the let down. Customer really has his heart set on this.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

410.36 Means of Support.

(G) Trees. Outdoor luminaires and associated equipment shall be permitted to be supported by trees.
Informational Note No. 1:  See 225.26 for restrictions for support of overhead conductors.
Informational Note No. 2:  See 300.5(D) for protection of conductors.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
The trees can support the lights but you have to bring the power to them underground and up each tree. No swagging wires between trees.

·
Premium Member
18,548 Posts
It's not something that can be installed professionally and permanent. You bought find a way to build a span between the trees and hang an outdoor rated fixture from that.
I suspect someone hung a trash pile find crystal chandelier from a tree branch and called it macaroni.
You can't do that.
Maybe convert something to 12 volts and give it a try, I don't know...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If i bury it and go up the tree and use rigid or pvc i can mount weatherproof boxes on the tree my main concern is the light itself they are like retro swag lights no canopy i mean low volt is a bit safer but doesnt that leave me fabricating a home for the transformer.... Why do people always assume just because you are an electrician you can make any thing work. Actually making a tree fort isn't a bad idea.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haha I figured it out just gonna go the low volt route thinks for the ideas an warm reception trees with built in fixture may become a high commodity in the near future. I will try and upload pics when finished... If it ever stops raining in sunny az.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts