Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gotta install a 50A receptacle for a Tesla charging plug that will be in a car port and another outdoors at a cabin, figured I would do the same install for both. Called my supplier and they didn't know or have anything for outdoors.

Need a weather proof in-use type enclosure or cover for a 3wire 50A receptacle. Thought of some hack methods to get the job done, but since it's a Tesla, I thought it should actually look professional this time! :laughing:

Any pro's out there come across this?

·
Can't Remember
10,155 Posts
He beat me to it, but I believe you'll have to change the receptacle to a three pronged variety. Have installed one in a hanger where the customer leaves the car while he's traveling. Make sure you get a test drive.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought of something like this, though the cover I was looking at didn't bubble out like the one you posted. Unless you have done this install before, the problem I see is the tesla plug is really long and the cover won't close and make a proper waterproof seal.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
dont know how your gonna get a cord grip over all that fancy cord crap from tesla but....:whistling2::no::thumbup::laughing:

thats what i got

wait! check this! get a 2 inch 2 screw connector.......

im tired

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
I'm doing the same job soon Frunk

my Q is, (usa standards, but you lot are par on that) does it need to have a disco?

~CS~

·
Can't Remember
10,155 Posts
I think the point at which you need the disconnect is 60amp. So the high powered version needs one, the big wall hanger one. Correct me if I'm wrong. Wondering if they have changed the wiring for these, because I'd swear the one I did didn't have a neutral.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Methinks your spot on via 625-23 nrp3, and i would image there has got to be some uniformity in charging stations?

~CS~

·
Can't Remember
10,155 Posts
Tesla is its own thing. I don't think you can charge any other cars with theirs. The high powered one is nice because of the voltages it will operate at, though the wiring compartment is tiny.

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Gotta install a 50A receptacle for a Tesla charging plug that will be in a car port and another outdoors at a cabin, figured I would do the same install for both. Called my supplier and they didn't know or have anything for outdoors.

Need a weather proof in-use type enclosure or cover for a 3wire 50A receptacle. Thought of some hack methods to get the job done, but since it's a Tesla, I thought it should actually look professional this time! :laughing:

Any pro's out there come across this?
We quite a lot of work for Tesla, We use a weather proof 4" deep box with a gasketed weather proof cover, but I use pretty much whatever the supply house has to offer just as long is weather proof.
You dont need a disconnect unless is a HPWC.

·
Can't Remember
10,155 Posts
I don't believe so. It looks like he did what I had to do and use a threaded nipple because the material was 1/4-3/8 thick.

·
Banned
7,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No disco at this party. Its basically installing a stove outlet, but plugging in a car instead.

I'm still not totally sure what to do to make a nice clean TESLA install. I can do hack work any day, but a lot of people will obviously be checking this out.

I don't hate the idea of mounting inside a WP box and coming in the bottom... Though hacky. Giorgio do you have pics of the 4" deep box and WP cover install?

Thanks all for the help so far!

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
No disco at this party. Its basically installing a stove outlet, but plugging in a car instead.

I'm still not totally sure what to do to make a nice clean TESLA install. I can do hack work any day, but a lot of people will obviously be checking this out.

I don't hate the idea of mounting inside a WP box and coming in the bottom... Though hacky. Giorgio do you have pics of the 4" deep box and WP cover install?

Thanks all for the help so far!
I found this one on my phone, I would have to ask my guys if they have any install pictures that they can send me so I can share with you.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.