Electrician Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a receptacle required to be on the side of a furnace, or does one just need to be within sight? Is it the same rule as with ac units?

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment Outlet. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equip-ment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.

Exception: A receptacle outlet shall not be required at one-and two-family dwellings for the service of evaporative coolers.

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
The requirement is the article BBQ pointed out but the OP may be thinking about the receptacle on a furnace for a condensation pump.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BBQ said:
210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment Outlet. A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equip-ment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means. Exception: A receptacle outlet shall not be required at one-and two-family dwellings for the service of evaporative coolers.
Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for. I've never seen a cord and plug connected furnace around here.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
People in normal states don't plug in their furnace. :jester:

I take it your town has never been through a winter storm. We had a few where power was out for days at or below zero. Linemen and people with gennies where really wishing the thing was on a cord.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
I take it your town has never been through a winter storm. We had a few where power was out for days at or below zero. Linemen and people with gennies where really wishing the thing was on a cord.
We get them all the time but most furnaces and boilers here are not listed for cord and plug connection so doing so is a code violation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts