Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,Im new to the forum and ive already got a problem that i need help with. I was called to an apt building because of switches and outlets cause a static shock when you touch them.
The situation is driving the tenants crazy! It doesnt shock me evrytime but the janitor was getting a shock at each and evryone.
Ive never seen this before in all my yrs....what to do??

USL Electrical Services
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Hi all,Im new to the forum and ive already got a problem that i need help with. I was called to an apt building because of switches and outlets cause a static shock when you touch them.
The situation is driving the tenants crazy! It doesnt shock me evrytime but the janitor was getting a shock at each and evryone.
Ive never seen this before in all my yrs....what to do??

USL Electrical Services

Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

Did you check to see if the switches are grounded?
 

·
Pool Shark
Joined
·
472 Posts
Drive a ground rod !!
... just kidding.

Problem could be a nail driven into a wire and only when there's a load does it trickle on to the grounding system. Run a new wire to the outlets and be done with it.
 

·
Mad as Hell Member
Joined
·
2,935 Posts
Hi all,Im new to the forum and ive already got a problem that i need help with. I was called to an apt building because of switches and outlets cause a static shock when you touch them.
The situation is driving the tenants crazy! It doesnt shock me evrytime but the janitor was getting a shock at each and evryone.
Ive never seen this before in all my yrs....what to do??

USL Electrical Services
A static shock? Probably the carpet. Unless there's steady power at the plate screws at any given time I can't see this being very electrical related.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I have found out that a good percentage of residential electricians don't ground their switches. I would check that, and check your grounding system. I would also check to make sure all wires in panel are screwed down tight, especially the neutrals and grounds.
 

·
Mad as Hell Member
Joined
·
2,935 Posts
I have found out that a good percentage of residential electricians don't ground their switches. I would check that, and check your grounding system. I would also check to make sure all wires in panel are screwed down tight, especially the neutrals and grounds.
He said STATIC. Receiving a static shock off of an outlet screw is proof in itself that the system is grounded correctly. Plus, you really think multiple outlets wouldn't be bonded to the box through the device screws? Come on.
 

·
corn-fused
Joined
·
4,769 Posts
i dont know if its the harsh winter or a change in me, but im starting to think I'M a static generator! im gettin shocked everytime i get out of my truck or take my coat off!:blink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,201 Posts
i dont know if its the harsh winter or a change in me, but im starting to think I'M a static generator! im gettin shocked everytime i get out of my truck or take my coat off!:blink:
I have hardwood floors in my house and the damn dogs still shock me every time they sniff me. :censored: I think they do it on purpose.

Any way to permanently ground them? :whistling2:
 

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
Joined
·
14,577 Posts
4SQUARE said:
I agree. Best course of action would be to remove all carpeting on the premises. Immediately. :laughing:
No he should drive a ground rod into the carpet, leaving just a few inches sticking up for the HI to see..
Or
He can order parts and install them in the summer on a rainy day...
Problem solved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
This winter, at least in our house the static electricity has been high. And yes everything is grounded. We have carpet, the static that build's up is looking for a place to go, they reach for the switch and the static discharges from you to the screw[ which is metal bonded to the device]. They could change all the screws to teflon but the static electricity has to discharge from you some how!
 

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
Joined
·
35,311 Posts
We three kittens have lost our mittens,
And now we get shocked touching lightswitches.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,079 Posts
"Electrons are something manufacturers put into carpets... in order to attract dirt."
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top