Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1.how many outlets on a 20amp circuit.

2. by the new code do i count the neutrals as current carring conductors. example:
3 hots, 3 neutrals and 1 ground

thanks, new to the forum looking forward to hearing your answers and comments
SSG. kevin Lugenbeel

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
1.how many outlets on a 20amp circuit.
Assuming receptacle outlets

In a dwelling unit .........as many as will fit

In a non-dwelling unit ... 13.8

2. by the new code do i count the neutrals as current carring conductors. example:
3 hots, 3 neutrals and 1 ground
Assuming three two wire circuits that is six current carrying conductors new or old code.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for you reply, so would i be right #12 thhn i could put in 4 hots and 4 neutrals and 1 ground in a 3/4 emt 70% derating. im trying to figure out how many circuits i can put in a 3/4 emt and be safe. thanks

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
In most cases, with 15, 20 & 30 amp circuits, using 14, 12 & 10 AWG, 90 Celsius conductors, you can group up to 9 current carrying conductors before the derating becomes an issue.

·
Fried Bologna um um good!
8,094 Posts
thanks for you reply, so would i be right #12 thhn i could put in 4 hots and 4 neutrals and 1 ground in a 3/4 emt 70% derating. im trying to figure out how many circuits i can put in a 3/4 emt and be safe. thanks
If you have a NEC look at Annex C in the back of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do you count the neutrals or not. I had an inspector tell me that since every hot had its own neutral that you dont count the neutrals as current carring conductors. Just wanting a clarification. thanks

·
Registered
567 Posts
joker 22 said:
do you count the neutrals or not. I had an inspector tell me that since every hot had its own neutral that you dont count the neutrals as current carring conductors. Just wanting a clarification. thanks
If every hot has it's own white, then it is a grounded conductor, and counts as current carrying. If you are sharing neutrals between two or more hots then, they do not count as CCC.

I believe certain other conditions may apply, I'll have to check.

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts

You always count the neutral as a current carrying conductor unless it meets the conditions below.

2008 NEC said:
310.15(B)(4) Neutral Conductor.

(a) A neutral conductor that carries only the unbalanced
current from other conductors of the same circuit
shall not be required to be counted when applying the provisions
of 310.15(B)(2)(a).

(b) In a 3-wire circuit consisting of two phase conductors
and the neutral conductor of a 4-wire, 3-phase, wye connected
system, a common conductor carries approximately
the same current as the line-to-neutral load currents
of the other conductors and shall be counted when applying
the provisions of 310.15(B)(2)(a).

(c) On a 4-wire, 3-phase wye circuit where the major
portion of the load consists of nonlinear loads, harmonic currents
are present in the neutral conductor; the neutral conductor
shall therefore be considered a current-carrying conductor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts