Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is don and here's my problem.

I'm troubleshooting and outside light for my neighborhood. There's a 100 amp panel. Inside is a 20 amp breaker that feeds a GFI and a light for the sign. The light is also on a photocell. The feed is underground under the road that is the entrance to the neighborhood. It appears to be ran in PVC, but it is underground cable. It does not appear to be ran in PVC the whole run. At the GFI my meter reads 8V. At the panel my meter reads 120V.

Any clue why this would be?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
My name is don and here's my problem.

I'm troubleshooting and outside light for my neighborhood. There's a 100 amp panel. Inside is a 20 amp breaker that feeds a GFI and a light for the sign. The light is also on a photocell. The feed is underground under the road that is the entrance to the neighborhood. It appears to be ran in PVC, but it is underground cable. It does not appear to be ran in PVC the whole run. At the GFI my meter reads 8V. At the panel my meter reads 120V.

Any clue why this would be?
Did you pull out the GFCI, If not press the reset button, problem salved..:laughing: sorry Just kidding:)

check the wires where they come out of the ground, if you only have 8 volts there then there may be a break in the cable. When the circuit leaves the panel does it go under ground right to the sign? also is the photo eye at the sign or on the building.?

Welcome to the forum....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I replaced the gfi. It's not the problem. I'm not a residential electrician so I apologize if I sound stupid. I mostly do hospitals, schools, factories, fire alarm, door access & such.

The circuit leaves the panel and goes to the gfi. Then from the gfi it goes to the light. The light has the photo cell on a bell box right beside it. The problem seems to be between the gfi and the panel.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,547 Posts
I replaced the gfi.why ? It's not the problem. I'm not a residential electrician so I apologize if I sound stupid. I mostly do hospitals, schools, factories, fire alarm, door access & such. unlikely

The circuit leaves the panel and goes to the gfi. Then from the gfi it goes to the light. The light has the photo cell on a bell box right beside it. The problem seems to be between the gfi and the panel.
as someone else said, this is troubleshooting 101.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Is the photocell before or after the gfi? If it's before, possibly a bad photocell (you did tape it up if it's before the gfi to test?)..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^dude. 'Trouble shooting 101' so clever. Thanks. A new guy comes on your forum for some helpful advise and BOOM. Helpful stuff like this. *clap. clap. Well done sir. Well done.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
39,117 Posts
I replaced the gfi. It's not the problem. I'm not a residential electrician so I apologize if I sound stupid. I mostly do hospitals, schools, factories, fire alarm, door access & such.

OK, so let's put it in terms you'll understand.

The circuit leaves the panel and goes to the VFD. From there, it goes to the motor starter. The motor starter has a start/stop mushroom right next to it. The problem seems to be between the starter and the panel.

Now, could you fix that problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, so let's put it in terms you'll understand.

The circuit leaves the panel and goes to the VFD. From there, it goes to the motor starter. The motor starter has a start/stop mushroom right next to it. The problem seems to be between the starter and the panel.

Now, could you fix that problem?
Very nice^

Got it. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
This all comes down to where does the voltage disappear, if voltage is present on a conductor before it goes out of sight, and then not present wherever it goes next... Problem is somewhere in that raceway, wire, box, device, or whatever else.

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
. At the GFI my meter reads 8V. At the panel my meter reads 120V.
To ground or to neutral or both?

UF sucks. UR screwed. :laughing:

Next step is a locator to at least find the path, if not the fault/open

And, you deserve some ball busting. :thumbsup: I was troubleshooting simple circuitry two weeks into the trade, once I understood the basic pathways.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
UF under a road not in conduit? If so, that's not going to be a pretty repair. Concrete? Asphalt? Sounds like that's going to suck for someone if the fault is in the underground under that road. Better make very very sure that's where the problem is before telling them!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts