Electrician Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first year apprentice and wanted to run something by someone with some more experience. I'd ask my journeyman but it's the weekend.
My uncle asked me if I could extend the light fixture ten feet up with a new motion sensor light.

Its located out front of the apartment complex my family owns.
Should I attach a junction box at the current fixture and run pipe 10' up? What type of box would I need at the end of the pipe to be able to attach the new light fixture. Or is there a simplified way of doing this?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dmxtothemax said:
Is there access to the other side of the wall ? Do you care what it looks like ? Or just want it done cheap as ? Easyest way is to use conduit, But it might not look pretty. But some paint will help there.
It's a brick wall and yes in want it to look nice and flush as possible.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
So that leaves really only outside instal, such as conduit,

If you paint the conduit the same color as the bricks,

It will be a lot less obvious.

Can you go up higher ?
closer to the roof,
and drop a cable from the roof space ?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
You will need either a T or Round WP extension box to extend from where your point of power is . Use EMT or RMC on brickwork. Use a round WP box for your new fixture location.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

Reactions: Stoneage

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
What type of box would I need at the end of the pipe to be able to attach the new light fixture.
Motion detectors (the ones I've seen) install on round WP boxes.

Or is there a simplified way of doing this?
WP extension ring, WP blank, round WP box, 10' of EMT, two connectors, 30' of THHN, a couple straps and some plastic screw anchors.

It doesn't get a much more simple :thumbup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dmxtothemax said:
So that leaves really only outside instal, such as conduit, If you paint the conduit the same color as the bricks, It will be a lot less obvious. Can you go up higher ? closer to the roof, and drop a cable from the roof space ?
It's two stories and the attic isn't accessible it would def look much cleaner this way.

·
fertilizer distrubuter
1,250 Posts
Can you get this circuit to the attic? Some homes have chases from the attic to the basement.

If it is located low on a gable end you can drill the stud space from the attic above the existing box or from your new light hole. Chisel the light box out from the wall. Cut a 3 inch hole through the brick hole. Then fiber rod down to your old box. check out the depth you can get a rod before you cut the new box. Then quickset mortar in your new box. I would either put as blank over the old hole or leave the motion detector or photocell in it. I have never had to run conduit on the outside or inside (ok I don't channel concrete walls) of a house.

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
Should unlicensed apprentices be doing electrical work on multi family dwellings anyway???
I was doing all those exterior lighting installs at a 106 unit apt complex when I was 14, 70 watt hps nema heads, 175 merc heads and 150 watt hPS floods. All those fixtures are still functioning today.

Sent from my C5215 using electriciantalk.com mobile app

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.