Electrician Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question I was hoping someone could help me with: the code book states "the rating of the overcurrent device shall not be less than the sum of the non continuous plus 125% of the continuous load". Ok so what exactly is considered a continuous load or non continuous load? And then what value would be used for convience outlets on a branch circuit? I iasked about 50 questions yesterday so I figured I'd go to a different source hah. Thanks

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,440 Posts
In definitions in the code book you will see that a continuous load is one which is on for 3 hours or more. The general duty receptacles would not be considered continuous loads.

·
Registered
90 Posts
13 receptacles on a 20 amp circuit for commercial application
I agree with you. 120v x 20a = 2400va / 180va = 13.33 or (13) general use recepts. As Dennis had mentioned receptacles would not be considered continious and the 80% demand would not be applied. A good design would be 6 to 7 outlets on a circuit which is a safety factor should office staff want to plug in a fish tank, space heater, lava lamp and a mini fridge in the power strip.:eek:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.