Electrician Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed a low voltage track Friday, one of those really expensive suspended monorail ones with the hand blown glass suspended by thin coaxial cables. 250 watts worth of lamps at 12 volts I come up with 20.83 amps so I used #10 between the magnetic transformer and the fixture (track feed canopy had 10s as well). Total distance about 15 feet. Looking at the instructions on the transformer it said for more than 3 feet I need to use 1/0 copper!! WTF?? Did something get lost in the translation?

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
#10s, #8s will be fine. Years ago I installed copper track cove lighting in a mansion, each bulb spaced 1" apart drew 5 watts. The largest wire we used was #4 and that ran 25' to transformers mounted in the basement.

·
Mad as Hell Member
2,935 Posts
I may be wrong but from what I calculate it shouldn't draw more than 2 amps on the primary.

Don't know why you'd use 1/0 copper. 1/0 aluminum from the 40's would be more than enough.

·
Registered
11,762 Posts
:eek:

How big are the lugs on the transformer and fixture. My guess the 1/0 would be for installs on the other side of the house.

At that point your better off boosting the secondary by about a few volts until you have 12 volts at full load, just don't let the burnt out bulbs accumulate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.