Electrician Talk banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy. My wife and I are building our home in Parrish FL. Something a bit different, for sure, we are building it out of recycled shipping containers. Now that the containers are set, we will begin framing (after mom goes home from her Thanksgiving holiday) and then will need to begin wiring. I modeled the entire house in Sketchup, including the plumbing and electrical. What I am interested in is a FL licensed electrician to consult with me on my plan, circuit loads, etc. I know that real world and whats in books doesn't always jive, and I know that your experience will be far more efficient than what I came up with. Interested? Reply to this and we'll get something going.

I have the current FL code books and my wife and I will be doing the work ourselves. We are funding everything out of pocket and simply can't afford labor.

A bit more about the project. While doing volunteer work in Indonesia for 2.5 years, my wife and I bought a piece of property in FL. I spent a year designing our "dream house" only to find there was NO way we could afford it. After lots of soul and internet research, we came up with container building. Then - after a crash course in FL building codes and land use restrictions, we came up with something great. Since I designed the home, all we needed was an engineer to do the plans and permitting went like clock work. THANK YOU MANATEE COUNTY.

While researching container building, we quickly discovered that, like most cool and affordable things, it is quickly becoming chic and unaffordable. We has a few architects bid the job before we learned we only needed an engineer and were blown away by the cost! Over 5 TIMES what the engineer charged. Beyond that, contractors wanted an obscene amount of money to handle the project. So, we are doing it ourselves - and documenting the ENTIRE build. When done - a website will be created giving our hard learned lessons, advice, and EVEN BUILDING PLANS away for free. Since my wife runs her own design business (Fair Price Studio) - its our way of giving back what we can.

WHY? Well, with what we went through and learned, its almost impossible to own a piece of land and live on it (in FL) on a limited budget. We think this is a shame - and not inline with the spirit of the industrious American. We want to see hard working folks be able to own their own homes and not get gouged in the process. We also want to see this very cool way of recycling become more popular.

Anyway - give me a shout if you would like to help us out. Yes, it is a paying consultation. BY THE WAY, before the discussion gets going in a different direction, here are some facts:

1. In FL, an owner / builder can do any and all work in their new homes - including electrical.
2. In FL, when building a home, no separate electrical permit is needed. Its all included in the construction permit.
3. It is not necessary to have a licensed electrician hook the panel to the supply from FPL. Although - its probably a great idea!!!

·
Super Moderator
21,906 Posts
Thanks for posting on ElectricianTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ElectricianTalk.com is designed for electrical industry professionals to discuss issues and topics related to the electrical trades and related industries. Many of our professionals are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

Reactions: Roger and oldtimer
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.