Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I have a question regarding 680.44(d)(4). I have a packaged spa above ground that is with in 5' of a aluminum screen enclosure.If i'm reading this correct. I have to take a 8awg from the gfci enclosure and use a lug and terminate it on to the screen enclosure. Any help on this will help. Thanks again.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
Hello guys, I have a question regarding 680.44(d)(4). I have a packaged spa above ground that is with in 5' of a aluminum screen enclosure.If i'm reading this correct. I have to take a 8awg from the gfci enclosure and use a lug and terminate it on to the screen enclosure. Any help on this will help. Thanks again.
What year code book you reading?

680.44(d)(4) is not in the 2011.

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts
2008,sorry
Ah ha!:laughing:

This is in the 2011 code...

680.44 Protection. Except as otherwise provided in this section, the outlet(s) that supplies a self-contained spa or hot tub, a packaged spa or hot tub equipment assembly, or a field-assembled spa or hot tub shall be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.
(A) Listed Units. If so marked, a listed self-contained unit or listed packaged equipment assembly that includes integral ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for all electrical parts within the unit or assembly (pumps, air blowers, heaters, lights, controls, sanitizer generators, wiring, and so forth) shall be permitted without additional GFCI protection.
(B) Other Units. A field-assembled spa or hot tub rated 3 phase or rated over 250 volts or with a heater load of more than 50 amperes shall not require the supply to be protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

Informational Note:  See 680.2 for definitions of self-contained spa or hot tub and for packaged spa or hot tub equipment assembly.

·
Registered
Electrician
4,474 Posts
my eyes are gettin weary, but i dont see a need to have that tub grounded to the al. screen. they are both grounded separetly, and the tub is gfi

This is not a question of grounding, but bonding. I didn't look everything up, but I think that section is about bonding the perimeter and anything metal within the defined distance.

Same as the equipotential bonding around a pool.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,513 Posts
The 2011 does require the screen to be bonded if within 5' the 2008 is questionable the way it is written. It is obvious after the 2011 came out that the intent for the 2008 was to bond all metal parts. I still think it is assinine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.