Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be installing the cabling etc. for a paging system in a private school. I don't do this sort of thing very often. What are the codes involved? If the system is operated over 30 volts, it falls under a different class, correct?

·
13,020 Posts
Is there an existing speaker system you'll be tying your stuff into? Or will it be all new speakers and a paging amplifier?

I believe most of the paging amplifiers I have put in are labelled Class 2 wiring for their output but don't quote me on that. You'll have to look at your amp to see. Anyway a Class 2 circuit is a class 2 circuit, doesn't matter that it's running at 70 volts. Free air wiring.

Reactions: wendon

·
Electrical Contractor
9,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there an existing speaker system you'll be tying your stuff into? Or will it be all new speakers and a paging amplifier?

I believe most of the paging amplifiers I have put in are labelled Class 2 wiring for their output but don't quote me on that. You'll have to look at your amp to see. Anyway a Class 2 circuit is a class 2 circuit, doesn't matter that it's running at 70 volts. Free air wiring.
All new equipment. It'll have two outdoor horns, one indoor horn, and probably about 25 ceiling speakers. It probably would make more sense to go with the 70 volt system. Is interference more of a problem with the higher voltage systems?

·
Registered
84 Posts
18-2 or 16-2 cable should be fine, depends on length of runs. If your worried about interference, get shielded cable, and tie the drain into the amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts