Electrician Talk banner

Panel Clearance Question

2986 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  macmikeman
The forum won't let me attach pics until I have 20 posts. The model is Control Panels. These panels are supplied by a 110v Circuit to power a 24 V Transformer that is inside of them. All the controls are 24 V or less.

That being said. There is a housekeeping pad for HVAC Equipment (about 4 in tall) Basically a step in floor elevation in front of one of my group of 4 panels. I am considering this finished floor; however, it is brought to question that the step (as shown in the attached model) is a "clearance" issue.

I have searched 110.26 and can't find anything that would suggest this is a violation.

Also note, that there is 3ft of Clearspace in front of this group of panels and is clear all the way to the ceiling. There isn't anything in the clearance area, except this change in floor elevation.

What do you think?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,883 Posts
Who is asking the question about the step? The inspector? Bring him a sandwich. He want's a nice sandwich, Capiche?

Reactions: jumbojett

· Premium Member
20,945 Posts
I can't imagine anyone seeing this as an issue. Just don't go out of your way
to point it out.

· Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,895 Posts
Perhaps the inspector is thinking of the rule where you can not have a 4 in concrete pad in front of electric panels with in the 36 in clearance area.
He / She is not sure about the 24v or less
Unless that pad is the same size as your working/clearance area requirements.
If it not the required size then it’s become an obstruction.

We always stumble away from hazards and never trip into them,,,, right? :vs_laugh:

· Senile Member
36,883 Posts
If this is the same guy who posted under a different name at Mike Holt today, the pad in question runs longitudinal cutting the space under one of the panels like a stair step. Macmikey say no go, unless of course this thing is existing and therefore not poster's problem. Housekeeper's problem. Add more concrete. Problem gone.

Reactions: Wiresmith

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is in a Central Utility Plant at the New Airport in SLC. We have meetings with models prior to install. Questions from Engineers, Inspectors, Foreman, etc are in on the meeting and raised the question. I was confident this wasn't an issue; however, they seemed to think it was an issue. They are doing their homework, I'm doing mine. Maybe i should bring them all a sandwich. ;)

· Senile Member
36,883 Posts
I don't want to post a picture off of the Mike Holt site here due to copyright and all but if that one be your picture ( I think it might) there is more than just the step violating 110.26 in the picture. )

Float more concrete into the floor and problem solved . I woulda done it already in this fifteen minutes except Mrs Macmikeman is still cooking my breakfast.

Reactions: jumbojett

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't want to post a picture off of the Mike Holt site here due to copyright and all but if that one be your picture ( I think it might) there is more than just the step violating 110.26 in the picture. )

Float more concrete into the floor and problem solved . I woulda done it already in this fifteen minutes except Mrs Macmikeman is still cooking my breakfast.
You're welcome to post the picture here as I am unable. I own the picture.
As far as the other things in front of the panel, they are further than 3 feet in front of the panel. I know the pic looks deceiving.

· Senile Member
36,883 Posts
Brady, I think your point is very valid indeed. It is not equipment intruding into the 110.26 space, it's a concrete pad.

Reactions: Wiresmith
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.