Electrician Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few GE panel covers that got beat up a little bit during shipping. Have any of you guys had any luck touching up with a rattle can or small brush? Any specific brand/color of paint to use? Thanks.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,922 Posts
I have a few GE panel covers that got beat up a little bit during shipping. Have any of you guys had any luck touching up with a rattle can or small brush? Any specific brand/color of paint to use? Thanks.

I have seen a few guys redo them, didn't look bad.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I’ve used the Benjamin Moore "Dover Grey" quick dry spray paint for indoor panels and covers before and it looked great. I don’t use GE, so they may be different, but it was a near perfect match to the OEM color on them. Just be sure not to spray paint over any of the factory labels.
Some guys would argue that painting a panel or cover somehow violates the listing, but to that I say scratches and surface rust are not part of the listing either.

·
Electric Al
4,823 Posts
There was a spray paint available from the suppliers years ago.

I believe it was G.E. Glyptal Grey. Maybe I have that spelled wrong!

Is this product still available?

I have not seen it in many years!

OR, am I that old? :001_unsure:

·
Banned
7,355 Posts
It is easier just to paint the whole cover than try and match a paint.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Personal opinions of manufacturers are irrelevant in my position. My job is to install, make everything operate according to spec, and not look like sh*t. I have no problems with GE. Thanks for the info guys.

·
3rd Generation
1,638 Posts
Last cover i got from GE was so dented up and mangled I made them send out a new one. Box was in pristine shape though so it left the factory looking that way.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Whenever I get a damaged panel or it doesn't meg out, I immediately call my supplier and exchange it. He can send me all the paint or replacement parts in the world, but I am buying a brand new piece of equipment and I expect it to be perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts