Electrician Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought i read here once that it was possible to buy just the bus bar etc., to retrofit an existing panel that would be a big pain to replace. I asked my supply house and they couldn't help me. Is there an online source?

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
In OC there is a place called Orange County circuit breaker that has salvage parts. Maybe they could ship to you.

·
Licensed Journeyman
5,880 Posts
I just pull the old guts out and "retrofit" new to my liking. Voiding any and all UL's, warranties, and other things of the like.

Reactions: 220/221

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Usually cheaper to buy the whole new panel, and then swap the guts. You end up with a new enclosure that you can use on a later project as a junction or structured wiring box.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I could probably just do my own transplant but am I right or wrong thinking that there was a company making a product just for this application?
Right now my customer has 4 of 20 bus bar stabs burnt up and I don't want to mess with their broken stuff.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Cutler-Hammer markets new guts for old enclosures.

I think buying the whole thing and robbing the guts is less expensive, however.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cutler-Hammer markets new guts for old enclosures.

I think buying the whole thing and robbing the guts is less expensive, however.
Okay, thanks. I see where you guys are going now. It is a 14" wide by 28" tall can so it should be easy to find something that fits.

·
Registered
12,412 Posts
i thought i read here once that it was possible to buy just the bus bar etc., to retrofit an existing panel that would be a big pain to replace. I asked my supply house and they couldn't help me. Is there an online source?
In the past I have had to retrofit an existing panel with a new buss with more breakers available. I first called on the inspector to make sure that he would not flag me for not having enough room in the panel. I then bought new panels and removed the buss and discarded the empty panel can.

·
Can't Remember
10,138 Posts
The only trouble with the retrofits is there is lead time to get them. I have done three and they work well enough. Its great in say an apartment building where you could walk through and check the dimensions of each units panel and make a list of what you need and order it up. At least its really designed for the purpose. I used this to replace Trumbull guts in three panels recessed in concrete.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts