Electrician Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I've never come across this. Had a customer request a panel location in an addition on an interior wall. Is this a code violation to recess it in the wall?

·
Super Moderator
22,041 Posts
Is this a main panel or a sub panel?

·
Super Moderator
22,041 Posts
You must have a disconnect as near as possible to the point of entry of the service conductors 230.70(A)(1).

Add a service disconnect outside and then install the other panel anywhere you want

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the way I had intended on doing it. I know I called it a main but I wasn't thinking that by putting a disconnect outside it then becomes a sub panel.

While I'm talking about it. Let me perhaps ask another question. What is the most common way to terminate GEC at meter/disconnect when all is said and done I'll have 2 disconnects and my meter, 2 ground rods. I'm a little rusty as I've been doing controls mostly for the last few years.

Thanks again gents.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
That is the way I had intended on doing it. I know I called it a main but I wasn't thinking that by putting a disconnect outside it then becomes a sub panel.

While I'm talking about it. Let me perhaps ask another question. What is the most common way to terminate GEC at meter/disconnect when all is said and done I'll have 2 disconnects and my meter, 2 ground rods. I'm a little rusty as I've been doing controls mostly for the last few years.

Thanks again gents.
Why 2 disconnects? Should only be 1. Slap the ground rod GEC into the meter, bring your waterpipe ground into the disconnect (unless you are in a stupid place and have to bring it to the meter only), run your 3 wires to the disconnect, and shoot 4 wire SER or whatever from the disco to your panel. Drive the bonding screw in at the disconnect, and make sure to throw it in the garbage can at the panel, slap a ground bar in, and go to pound town.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
2 disco. Because I'm relocating the meter and doing heavy up. (Building an addition now existing panel and new panel will be 40' away from new meter location)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One i other thing. Where we live most people are on well water. So in that case no water pipe grounding correct? Since it comes into the house in PVC

·
NJ-IEC
14,387 Posts
Why not do an exterior service with a NEMA3 meter/ main combo?

The grounding electrode system will have to conform to 250.52.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts