Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Construction
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my own house but I am an electrician so I believe this is fine to post questions about it. This is for Canada but I was under the impression brands are fairly cross border.

Looking for panel brand recommendations for the following 200A service upgrade I will be doing. House is for resale so I am more about cost - anything is better then the current stablok I have. Current story: is I have 100A stablock main service running from the alley behind my house, low over the entire garage roof, then a overhead back to the garage distribution panel, so close to the deck you could stand up on your toes and lick it. This actually works out kind of nice because I can build the new mast and panel on the alley side of the garage, run a sub feed back to the house but hopefully underground, then the utility only has to come once and run 10 feet from the alley because my main is now a sub. That means I can either connect the old panel up for the day or switch out to the new panel if I have time/energy.

Anyways,

Main 200A panel: This panel can be small as I only have lights and plugs, the new 200A sub, and the garage door. What would be a good brand for this? There is a supplier with good prices on General Electric.

The house Sub, still 200A as 95% of the load is off this, including the hot tub. This I was thinking square D because the breakers are so widely available and cheap. I don't need any AFCI thankfully.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Electrician
2,217 Posts
I just put in a homeline at my house, and the quality of the cabinet seemed far superior than Siemens and GE. GE is probably the lowest cost option and would be fine for resale. That being said i just became a big fan of plug on neutral.

·
Registered
I am 100 % retired now. Enjoying life :)
2,223 Posts
I like Square D products but not the plug-in neutral panels. The breakers flop around too much. They just seem to be poorly constructed. I think homeline is a good choice. Square D / QO if you can afford it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
It's Square D homeline.

It's the 'economy' version of the QO type.

There are TONS of them around here, they seem ok but I like the QO better.
It's an investment but a good one. Why not go with a quality load center for your home. Tell the lady of the house she has to go with Formica counter tops instead of marble.

·
Registered
Construction
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's Square D homeline.

It's the 'economy' version of the QO type.

There are TONS of them around here, they seem ok but I like the QO better.
Ah thanks, I thought you meant brand. I don't exactly go panel shopping so not familiar with the lines, I pick up the brand im told too so.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Ah thanks, I thought you meant brand. I don't exactly go panel shopping so not familiar with the lines, I pick up the brand im told too so.
I'm not sure if Canada has different selections than we have in the states. Often times you can get deals on panels that come with breakers at a great price but maybe some Canadians will chime in on this. Good luck ..

1 - 20 of 48 Posts