Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My folks are remodeling their house in the spring. The electrical panel needs to be replaced. The original electrician upgraded the service from 100A to 200A but never upgraded the panel. He just cut the cover out of the panel cover to fit the larger breaker in. They want to re-locate the panel to a different area in the basement. There is a code about having service entrance conductors entering a building, and must be terminated on the first disconnect available within 8-10 feet of where it enters the building. I was wondering if anyone has removed the old panel and installed just a disconnect where the service entrance conductors enter the building to meet the code requirement. And then continuing the SE conductors to the new panel location that are leaving the disconnect. Has anyone ever installed a disconnect in a house to meet this code requirement, and then continue the SE conductors beyond the disconnect? I would turn the original (current) panel into a splice box and run new wire from there to the new panel. I would appreciate your input. Thank You.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,796 Posts
It is the SE cable that is the limit inside IIRC. You would have to change cable type inside.

·
Registered
Residential, lite comm., Industrial
623 Posts
around here the poco requires a disconnect outside at the meter. Unless there is a metal nipple straight thru the wall to the panel with a main
it wont be much longer till it wont matter, outside disconnect at the meter regardless
It is the SE cable that is the limit inside IIRC. You would have to change cable type inside.
once you hit the first disconnect everything else is a subpanel. so 4 conductor feed from then on

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wall Line Wood Electrical wiring Gas

This is my setup. I had to penetrate the foundation to be under the 10’ allowed by AHJ. The middle disconnect is feeding a 200 amp subpanel in the garage. AHJ is fine with this setup. It’s all conduit so slightly different than your case

Its unfused conductor inside. SE has a flame retardant jacket which is why its allowed inside. (This is why i had to use conduit to penetrate the foundation. I couldnt find a direct burial cable rated to come inside a residence). The cable itself is fine inside the house. The maximum distance is to prevent accidental damage to wire which has no OCPD.

·
Registered
Electrician
455 Posts
If you put a disconnect just inside the basement then it will obviously be the first means….. and you need to have your neutral ground bond there and then continue with SER cable to the panel. The panel will effectively be treated like a sub panel. ( 4 wire, no neutral ground bond)

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,858 Posts
It seems that different areas have different rules. It believe the code reads the service entrance conductors have to be as short as possible or something like that. In NY they have a general policy of five feet. Other areas they want the main disconnect as soon as the service entrance conductors enter the building. Also keep in mind that if you move the panel and extend the branch circuits, then you now have to AFCI the circuits.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Did a reno job years back where they wanted the panel moved from the outside wall to the center wall of the basement. I used rigid steel and r90 and it was allowed to be unfused into the house a fair way. No disconnet until the new panel.
I don't know if the NEC has rules like that, or what the CEC rule is either anymore.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Did a reno job years back where they wanted the panel moved from the outside wall to the center wall of the basement. I used rigid steel and r90 and it was allowed to be unfused into the house a fair way. No disconnet until the new panel.
I don't know if the NEC has rules like that, or what the CEC rule is either anymore.
NEC says as close to entrance as possible but it’s ultimately the AHJs call. Mine has a 10 foot rule regardless of SE or conduit

·
Electrical Contractor
Trying to retire or at least slow down a bit, but life not cooperating
5,141 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how the previous electrician was able to configure a 200 amp breaker to be able to mount onto 125 buss ( standard buss for 100 amp panels.:oops:

Reactions: deltahigh360

·
Registered
Electrical contractor 37 years. Electrical inspector 2 years
1,858 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how the previous electrician was able to configure a 200 amp breaker to be able to mount onto 125 buss ( standard buss for 100 amp panels.:oops:
Probably kept the enclosure and only changed the guts.

·
Registered
12,814 Posts
One time I swapped a 225 amp main and a 200 amp main. I needed the 225’s larger number of breaker spaces on the 200 amp service. To be fair, the busses were the same size. But if you looked at the listing in the panels they didn’t match the mains.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts