Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never have enough pockets, and the pants I am using wear out in the knees and the pockets. Is there something you have found that works?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Carpenter pants and knee pads.

Reactions: MechanicalDVR

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
My work pants usually wear out in the thigh area and pockets. I think it's caused by me wiping my hands on those areas instead of using rags. We work with all types of chemicals such as solvents and stuff and it gets on those areas and could be part of the reason they wear out prematurely. I could only imagine if I was a pool contractor. Maybe some scotch guard would help.

·
Registered
Ready Mix concrete plant electrician
2,064 Posts
Dickies relaxed straight leg cargo pants. $30 will buy you a pair that ought to last a year or so. The flex fit version is also pretty nice.

·
Estwing magic
25,671 Posts
I’m telling you guys, support small business USA, not some big corporation that makes crap shipped from half way across the globe. Buy Kuhl and you’ll throw your Carhartts in the dumpster. Their quality is outstanding. My Ryder jacket was so nice some asshole stole it. It was after hours and he walked past power tools to steal wire and my jacket. 🙁

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I never have enough pockets, and the pants I am using wear out in the knees and the pockets. Is there something you have found that works?
What kind of work do you guys do?
I have Levi’s that are over10 years old. I only survey them due to them being faded from washing 520 times.

·
Dope-less Hope Fiend
electrician
682 Posts
I'd say these are the best all around I have found, Round House bib overalls:

Round House Made in USA Bib Overalls. American Made for 112 Years.

If you like to stuff your pockets, the most important thing is not more pockets to hold more stuff, but straps to hold them up.
These are what I used to wear, when I was doing new commercial construction. I could carry everything I needed in the pockets, and I used strap on kneepads for working on rough surfaces, or dirt.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I began buying surplus BDU's from a used uniform store probably 15 years ago.
Got hooked on all the pockets.
The store disappeared one day so I had to find an alternate place.
Don't know the climate where you're at but here are the one's I wear.
Great for South Texas heat.
Reinforced knees and seat.
Lots of pockets.
Adjustable waist, but I suggest going just a bit larger, I carry concealed, but not at work.
Mine dry quickly if I get wet.
Look through their site they have the same pant in different materials.
I've worked for companies that would not allow polyester or nylon type materials, arc flash.
Check the fly closure, the button fly is a PITA.

·
Hackenschmidt
11,405 Posts
I was looking for some Dickies brand jeans I bought which have the folding rule pocket on both sides and double knees, which is great, but it looks like they might not make them any more. But they do make some silly looking pants like the OP is looking for. FFS.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,598 Posts
I love bib overalls for any real work (not service work), nothing is more comfortable.

But as soon as the weather is willing I switch to carpenter shorts with the side pockets.

My woman says there is something about me in bibs that's sexy, so there's always that...j/s

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,050 Posts
I love bib overalls for any real work (not service work), nothing is more comfortable.

But as soon as the weather is willing I switch to carpenter shorts with the side pockets.

My woman says there is something about me in bibs that's sexy, so there's always that...j/s
I have never worked at one job where shorts were allowed. Not one.
Oh...I do remember one. Pool boy for a couple months after RR layoff.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
2,967 Posts
I have never worked at one job where shorts were allowed. Not one.
Oh...I do remember one. Pool boy for a couple months after RR layoff.
I worked in plants that allowed them, but in maintenance I just could not bring myself to wear them.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,050 Posts
I worked in plants that allowed them, but in maintenance I just could not bring myself to wear them.
Even in the heat of south Fl direct sun, I was never allowed to wear shorts. No shorts were ever allowed in any plant I worked in. But in many cases I was glad I had on long pants. Greasy bruised up legs would have been worse on top of worse. After all it was production equipment.
It was all rules based on the safety protocol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts