Electrician Talk banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
I have never worked at one job where shorts were allowed. Not one.
Oh...I do remember one. Pool boy for a couple months after RR layoff.
Doing control work nobody ever said a word to me about it. And I'm talking going back to 90-91.

And now I'm the guy who makes the decisions.

Of course for white room I had to put on tyvek coveralls.

·
Registered
36th year apprentice & Floor Sweeper
1,369 Posts
When I’m doing trench or slab work I wear bibs. It’s great not having to tuck a shirt in or pull my pants up every five minutes. For that type of work I only have a few tools and they fit nice in the extra pockets. If it’s 25F or below I’ll wear insulated. If it’s real hot out, I’ll wear shorts to work and throw the bibs on over top when I get there. It’s nice not driving home a filthy sweaty mess.

I bought a pair of the Round House bibs two months ago, but haven’t had to wear them yet. I bought a pair of their jeans also. They fit great and I would buy a few more, but I have this idea that I’m going to go down a waist size, so I don’t want to spend the money on another pair of thirty eights. All my work pants are carpenter style.

Shorts at work is outa the question these days. Back when I did residential jobbing, I always wore jeans. If I was doing condos or a custom home I would wear work shorts.

·
Registered
Electrical Controls
8 Posts
My place of work supplies uniform service of Carhartt ARC rated carpenters and they seem to hold up well. I wouldn't personally purchase them however, prior to uniforms being supplied I wore Rural King carpenter pants and Dickies double knee carpenter pants. The RK's lasted about 6 months @ $14.00 a pair, the Dickies around a year @ $35. I would be up for trying the Round House or Kuhl mentioned above considered they are US made.

·
Super Moderator
Retired
17,042 Posts
My place of work supplies uniform service of Carhartt ARC rated carpenters and they seem to hold up well. I wouldn't personally purchase them however, prior to uniforms being supplied I wore Rural King carpenter pants and Dickies double knee carpenter pants. The RK's lasted about 6 months @ $14.00 a pair, the Dickies around a year @ $35. I would be up for trying the Round House or Kuhl mentioned above considered they are US made.
One thing I have never liked. "Uniforms"! I hated the gas station look. Today I see some nice uniforms that I could stomach. I like the idea of wearing stuff thats purchased and washed and ironed for me. But buying my own is how I prefer to roll. I liked wearing different clothes each day. Change it up.
Comfort was always my priority.

I know that I am in the minority, and I can't imagine climbing around in 100+ degree attics with anything but shorts and knee pads. It gets hot here, and anything that can help beat the heat seems safer to me
Exposed legs in attics is asking for trouble. Nails, screws, boxes and other obstructions could cause an issue.

Many years ago when I worked for the RR, I forgot my steel toe boots at home. So, instead of telling someone and going back to get them I planned to finish out the day and hope no one noticed. I had on sneakers.
I had not been at work for a couple hours when I was pulling a heavy duty shop designed fan across the floor. I pulled it into my toes and hurt myself. Not a biggie but it hurt like hell for days later. I got away with it that day, but I never walked on the shop floor without the proper foot protection.
I hate steel toes and that day I would have been fine with any work boot or shoe.

·
I like ceiling fans & EMT
Former commercial, occasional (small) residential
757 Posts
I used to only own jeans and suits. Then I worked for a museum for a couple years, my days were spent up and down ladders changing bulbs, fixtures, etc. After a few weeks my thighs were chafing to the point they were raw and bleeding. Ended up buying a couple dozen sturdy pairs of black sweat pants and that became my uniform for that job and any other indoor job. Downside is there's not much you can do with pockets.

·
Old Grumpy Bastard
GOV/MIL contracting
61,596 Posts
I used to only own jeans and suits. Then I worked for a museum for a couple years, my days were spent up and down ladders changing bulbs, fixtures, etc. After a few weeks my thighs were chafing to the point they were raw and bleeding. Ended up buying a couple dozen sturdy pairs of black sweat pants and that became my uniform for that job and any other indoor job. Downside is there's not much you can do with pockets.
That's a new one!!!

·
Registered
777 Posts
I wore Duluth trading co deluxe fire flex for two years here. Expensive at 80 bucks each on sale. Two pairs lasted me 1 year.

I’ve now changed to Blakladder. What I have now is frc2 arc flash rated so were expensive af at 150 bucks a pair. But their regular stuff can be cheaper at 100.
They are European tradesman style pants. You want pockets.... this is what you want. It’s like your pants are a tool belt, pouches included. Look up the x1600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
777 Posts
For jeans I just wear cheap Wranglers. For summer when I’m not doing any work that would be energized I wear Men's DuluthFlex Fire Hose CoolMax Relaxed Fit Cargo Pants.

Not nearly as hot and muggy as jeans. Keeps the swamp but down.

And I wear knee pads. Duluth makes some pants with knee pad inserts but I assume the pocket for the pads will wear out prematurely.
I had the ones with knee pad pockets. With my work kneeling can’t be planned for it just happens. Carrying around knee pads every minute of the day is just too cumbersome for me so the built in in pockets work for me

Depends how often you are kneeling obviously but mine never wore out. As a rough guess I’d say I was kneeling 10 mins a day on average. With some days no kneeling and some days hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: blueheels2
21 - 29 of 29 Posts