Electrician Talk banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the NM cable that is being sent to me without the paper is legal? I can not find anything telling me its not, it just seems like a strange change all of a sudden.

·
Registered
12,376 Posts
mod-kid said:
Can anyone tell me if the NM cable that is being sent to me without the paper is legal? I can not find anything telling me its not, it just seems like a strange change all of a sudden.
I have seen that type in marine applications like houseboats.

·
Banned
11,766 Posts
Canada has been using romex for decades. If anything the paper stuff should be illegal if you really wanted to look in depth. But in any case as long as its UL listed and from a trusted supplier then I wouldn't worry about.

BTW, any pics? The stuff in my area is still full of paper.

·
Banned
16,981 Posts
It's the wave of the future. What brand is it? So far only Encore makes it according to the thread posted above.

·
Registered
798 Posts
paperless romex is the rule in Canada and we call it Loomex. we used to make it with paper but now it is 2 insulated conductors a bare bond wire and all inside a nylon jacket. no paper. I think the last time I saw paper in our loomex was in the 1970s

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
For those of us who are slow, what is the paper for?

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
If it is paperless.. does that mean we can use it in wet locations.. :thumbup:

It was the paper that rendered NM a threat to human life and pets because the paper wicked water into the cable...

How that effected the thermoplastic covering on the copper conductors is still a big secret.. :rolleyes::no:

·
Salty Member
31,081 Posts
If it is paperless.. does that mean we can use it in wet locations.. :thumbup:

It was the paper that rendered NM a threat to human life and pets because the paper wicked water into the cable...

How that effected the thermoplastic covering on the copper conductors is still a big secret.. :rolleyes::no:
Are there still electricians that do not carry some THWN in their trucks?

·
Can't Remember
10,138 Posts
I was given a roll of it at a trade show to try out and its fine, other than it takes a little longer to strip, similar to uf, but not as much work.

·
Scotchkote Installer
30,669 Posts
Are there still electricians that do not carry some THWN in their trucks?
I don't carry it in my truck.. it has been more than (6) months since I did a pipe job..

Why carry something I don't need.. :blink::blink:

1 - 20 of 61 Posts