Electrician Talk banner

Parallel phasing -- perfect every time

5180 Views 22 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  chicken steve
Conclavicus raised that perennial issue: messed up ( crossed over ) paralleled conductors in a recent thread.

So it's high time to post the magic solution that forever prevents this from ever happening to you.

1) Forget about phasing the parallel conductors during the pull. It's a total waste of time and tape. It actually slows you down - - a LOT.

2) Land all of your paralleled conductors as if they were all fully phase colored -- and correct -- on the Service side of the connection -- because that's where you're going to bring the neutral and the grounding conductor together as part of the GEC System.

2a) Go right ahead and beautifully band them in their glory.

3) The grounding conductor -- in paralleled schemes never seems to ever be the same size as the current carrying conductors. So it's a no-brainer to spot it.

It will obviously read as in continuity with the landed, grounded, neutral conductors. So they are the first to be landed and banded. This is also nice, because virtually every time, they have the furthest distance to reach -- as in the neutral bar// rail.

4) Now you've got 3 snakes pouring out of every hole -- that need to be phased. If you get the first two right, the third takes care of itself.

You always start with red-blue or orange-yellow, working B and C phases, that's your hope. 1/3rd of the time you find A phase first, oh, well.

If solo, at this point you must pace back and forth. As a team ( cell phones ) it's a snap.

You jumper an unknown conductor out of your first 'hole' ( pipe) to the neutral bus -- with the breaker back at the Service turned off.

It's then VERY short work to establish which conductor suddenly has a ground fault at its circuit breaker. You hope that you've picked blue or red -- but -- whatever -- you note what's up and note the conductor at the load side.

This is repeated with your second conductor.

The third is a snap, but of course.

5) Once the first hole is doped out -- it's a simple matter to hunt for continuity -- conductor by conductor -- as you identify each one and immediately land it in turn.

The reason this method is so much faster is that you don't bother with taping during the pulling process.

I've seen crews tape and tape and tape -- as the conductors proved to be a tad long (insurance) -- and Yellow 77 is all over everything.

Testing for continuity goes so FAST. Especially in our day of CELL PHONES.

You only touch the matter once. You can trim the conductors to look pretty -- only then to wrap them in phasing tape, after they've been wiped clean.

6) Your last step is going to always involve a snap check to make sure that no paralleled phase is connected to another -- or to the grounded phase.

&&&&

You would not BELIEVE the amount of crew time wasted while one fellow phases paralleled conductors BEFORE a pull. You've got the ENTIRE pulling crew sitting on their cans while this step is taken.

Whereas, it only takes one man -- and perhaps two -- to correctly phase paralleled runs -- every time with the scheme detailed here.

Anyone without a DMM goes to the back of the class. :laughing:

&&&&

For secondaries, there will be no grounding conductor. So you'll just have to use a trick I'm not going to spell out here.

Heh.

Let's see how smart you really are.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Bootlegger
4,372 Posts
It never pans out that way.

Just say'n.

You're headed down the (slow) road I cautioned about in my OP.

But, don't let me stop you. :no:
I know what your saying by zinging them out with a DMM. I do it that way.

I don't understand how you mentioned the crew waiting for someone to phase them before pulling on the jobsite. Not sure who does that. You would have to unwind the reel to do it.

If you wanted them phased on the reel, have the SH do it, was my point.

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,924 Posts
Colored Simpull. Removes a lot of effort and guessing.

I've had a couple customers ask now if there was a way to check for cross phases after termination to the transformer. It'd be neat to have a reliable quick test for that.

Reactions: telsa

· Registered
160 Posts
Have the low men on totem pole pulling the rope in while the journey men phase it. No more sitting.
Buy colored wire. No more sitting.
Or like you said just pull it and have a apprentice do it with the green guy on the phone or radio, then double check it real quick after their shift ends or their on the next task. Helps keep his moral up thus getting a more motivated apprentice who did big switch gear work. He's learning and your getting to know how well the kid can adapt and such. If he goes fast enough let him torque it, why not the kid just busted his hump to earn it. Thats my take anyway I like teaching the new guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
74 Posts
Is this OP being serious or is this a joke???? You cannot ever mix phases. The color taping (Brown, Orange, Yellow) for A, B, C is a must. Phases must never be considered as interchangeable!!!!!! I cannot believe what I just read here or did I miss something.

· Registered
867 Posts
Is this OP being serious or is this a joke???? You cannot ever mix phases. The color taping (Brown, Orange, Yellow) for A, B, C is a must. Phases must never be considered as interchangeable!!!!!! I cannot believe what I just read here or did I miss something.
You're missing something. He pulls all the wire in, lands on one side and phases it afterwords, before terming the other side.

· Retired Account
39,616 Posts
Mr Telsa is merely forwarding method , 230.56,310.110,210.5,215.12 etc still apply.....

~CS~

· Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
36,924 Posts
I witnessed a bad taping cross phasing incident in person when I was only a helper. I don't think I did the color taping, I think the j-man did that, but it was a long time ago. Primary's to a big green Pad mount poco transformer.

When they energized it, the conduits buried deep in the ground jumped up thru the dirt and encasement, and the transformer was toast and history. The company owner was pretty grouchy at us for a long long time. At least nobody got hurt.

· Sparks fly from my finger
2,526 Posts
It isn't time consuming to phase them before you pull them. If you have a bunch of guys staring at one guy phasing conductors you have a management problem.

Having to phase something now is just dumb and having to spool out a huge parallel run is a waste of time. The supply houses don't charge more for cut rolls of colors than they do for black and most can get it in a timely manner. Plus colors are almost idiot proof.

· Premium Member
20,176 Posts
Conclavicus raised that perennial issue: messed up ( crossed over ) paralleled conductors in a recent thread.

So it's high time to post the magic solution that forever prevents this from ever happening to you.

1) Forget about phasing the parallel conductors during the pull. It's a total waste of time and tape. It actually slows you down - - a LOT.

2) Land all of your paralleled conductors as if they were all fully phase colored -- and correct -- on the Service side of the connection -- because that's where you're going to bring the neutral and the grounding conductor together as part of the GEC System.

2a) Go right ahead and beautifully band them in their glory.

3) The grounding conductor -- in paralleled schemes never seems to ever be the same size as the current carrying conductors. So it's a no-brainer to spot it.

It will obviously read as in continuity with the landed, grounded, neutral conductors. So they are the first to be landed and banded. This is also nice, because virtually every time, they have the furthest distance to reach -- as in the neutral bar// rail.

4) Now you've got 3 snakes pouring out of every hole -- that need to be phased. If you get the first two right, the third takes care of itself.

You always start with red-blue or orange-yellow, working B and C phases, that's your hope. 1/3rd of the time you find A phase first, oh, well.

If solo, at this point you must pace back and forth. As a team ( cell phones ) it's a snap.

You jumper an unknown conductor out of your first 'hole' ( pipe) to the neutral bus -- with the breaker back at the Service turned off.

It's then VERY short work to establish which conductor suddenly has a ground fault at its circuit breaker. You hope that you've picked blue or red -- but -- whatever -- you note what's up and note the conductor at the load side.

This is repeated with your second conductor.

The third is a snap, but of course.

5) Once the first hole is doped out -- it's a simple matter to hunt for continuity -- conductor by conductor -- as you identify each one and immediately land it in turn.

The reason this method is so much faster is that you don't bother with taping during the pulling process.

I've seen crews tape and tape and tape -- as the conductors proved to be a tad long (insurance) -- and Yellow 77 is all over everything.

Testing for continuity goes so FAST. Especially in our day of CELL PHONES.

You only touch the matter once. You can trim the conductors to look pretty -- only then to wrap them in phasing tape, after they've been wiped clean.

6) Your last step is going to always involve a snap check to make sure that no paralleled phase is connected to another -- or to the grounded phase.

&&&&

You would not BELIEVE the amount of crew time wasted while one fellow phases paralleled conductors BEFORE a pull. You've got the ENTIRE pulling crew sitting on their cans while this step is taken.

Whereas, it only takes one man -- and perhaps two -- to correctly phase paralleled runs -- every time with the scheme detailed here.

Anyone without a DMM goes to the back of the class. :laughing:

&&&&

For secondaries, there will be no grounding conductor. So you'll just have to use a trick I'm not going to spell out here.

Heh.

Let's see how smart you really are.
Sorry, TLDR.:sleep1::sleep1::sleep1:

I'll bet people run when they see you coming at any kind of social event.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.