Electrician Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking at a job that currently all wire is ran underground for car receptacles, 3 need replacing, existing is the 2inch poles in Asphalt.
Now I'm installing the 4x4 steel dandy type. How am I going to mount these? Cut and pour a concrete base?
Next question would be the same for wooden barriers to redo the entire lot.
Or will using Asphalt anchors work well enough?

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
882 Posts
Please define a parking plug
Underground parking and Asphalt, that is a new one for me. Any parking underground I have ever seen is concrete

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Please define a parking plug
Underground parking and Asphalt, that is a new one for me. Any parking underground I have ever seen is concrete
Above ground surface lot. Old building. Car plugs would probably be more accurate

·
Estwing magic
26,297 Posts
Moved to Canadian forum.

TrArKi, you’re going to have to call them receptacles. I know they’re called plugs up here but it might be confusing (I use “receptacles” or “outlets” myself).

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moved to Canadian forum.

TrArKi, you’re going to have to call them receptacles. I know they’re called plugs up here but it might be confusing (I use “receptacles” or “outlets” myself).
Thanks.
Will do that way it doesn't confuse people with the cord ends permanently installed 🤣

·
Registered
Electrical Contractor
283 Posts
Well I've never installed these, so take my advice with some caution. Just trying to throw some ideas out there.
I took a quick peek at the dandy website to see what you were talking about, and to me it looks like they must have an inside plate that you anchor down, and then slip the exterior sleeve down onto it and bolt it in from the side. Would it be possible to fabricate a modified inside plate for them that would clamp on to the existing 2" poles?
I also found some asphalt bolts online, but I didn't find any mention of pullout strength on them, not sure if they would be adequate for these.

For the wooden barriers, I can't see a few bolts around it being strong enough to secure it, so probably cut the asphalt and put them in deeper concrete.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've never installed these, so take my advice with some caution. Just trying to throw some ideas out there.
I took a quick peek at the dandy website to see what you were talking about, and to me it looks like they must have an inside plate that you anchor down, and then slip the exterior sleeve down onto it and bolt it in from the side. Would it be possible to fabricate a modified inside plate for them that would clamp on to the existing 2" poles?
I also found some asphalt bolts online, but I didn't find any mention of pullout strength on them, not sure if they would be adequate for these.

For the wooden barriers, I can't see a few bolts around it being strong enough to secure it, so probably cut the asphalt and put them in deeper concrete.
They def have a mounting plate. My concern is the Asphalt being soft wouldn't hold it for long

1 - 7 of 7 Posts