Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does or has anyone used plugtail or similar wiring devices for roughs in commercial or residential applications. I dont know what there cost is but we have been roughing houses steady for over a year and would be entertained in seeing cost/labor differentials between standard pigtail and devices and these type. Any input? Im not so sure how i feel about plug on terminals as i never backstab now but theres multpile case studys and such on them. let me know your thoughts

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
I cannot tell you their cost, but we use them nearly exclusively for the commercial shop I work for. They come pre-installed in the rough-in assemblies our prefab shop bulids, by the bin-full. The four square boxes,with appropriate mudring and plug-tail(s)w/wagos inside, are mounted on "kick-plates" (CaddyFMBS1824) usually with a data ring mounted off to the side of the kickplate as well. They are the shiz.

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
Great idea ,so instead of being able to make $10,000.00 for a job now you'll only be able to sell the same job for $7,500.00......because of time savings.:no:
Harry, we are a very large shop, and are quite competitive in our market, bidding against contractors that pay their employees about half of our wages and benefits.

How is that? Economy of scale, in part. Plus, having the right tools ,materials, and good information is crucial. Our prefab/support center keeps many journeymen and apprentices busy. The contractor earns a fair return on investment, we have good jobs, what's not to like? Most of the larger contractors in this area employ similar methods.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Harry, we are a very large shop, and are quite competitive in our market, bidding against contractors that pay their employees about half of our wages and benefits.

How is that? Economy of scale, in part. Plus, having the right tools ,materials, and good information is crucial. Our prefab/support center keeps many journeymen and apprentices busy. The contractor earns a fair return on investment, we have good jobs, what's not to like? Most of the larger contractors in this area employ similar methods.
I buzz, can you honestly tell me that you have J-man doing the pre fab?

·
Buzzy304E
1,167 Posts
I buzz, can you honestly tell me that you have J-man doing the pre fab?
Yes, I can. There is usually a crew of 20-30 wiremen, (JW's and apprentices) in the proper ratio, at any one time. Many of you will cringe at this, but nearly all large pipe comes out pre-bent, according to "bending sheets" prepared by the foremen on the jobs. Doing nothing but bending large conduit all day long, you get pretty good at it.

I have never worked in the prefab, thankfully, but would if asked. Some of the JW's are guys coming off of disability, having been put on light duty work. Others are older guys nearing retirement. It is good for a green apprentice to learn materials and installation methods. It is not an altogether bad thing, and is a fact of life in this local.

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Yes, I can. There is usually a crew of 20-30 wiremen, (JW's and apprentices) in the proper ratio, at any one time. Many of you will cringe at this, but nearly all large pipe comes out pre-bent, according to "bending sheets" prepared by the foremen on the jobs. Doing nothing but bending large conduit all day long, you get pretty good at it.

I have never worked in the prefab, thankfully, but would if asked. Some of the JW's are guys coming off of disability, having been put on light duty work. Others are older guys nearing retirement. It is good for a green apprentice to learn materials and installation methods. It is not an altogether bad thing, and is a fact of life in this local.
That is cool, I would have guessed it was a bunch of unlicensed guys doing this pre fab stuff.
If I ever did it it would be.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts

That's VERY odd. Most of the time it would be non-union workers doing that.

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
It is par for the course among the large shops here, and has been common for the last 5 or so years that I am aware of. It keeps us more than competitive vs. the non-union.
Normally they would have non-union guys doing the pre-fabbing in the shop which would help them be even more competitive.

Hey, if they are willing to pay union rate, I ain't complaining!

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

That's a good set up,I respect that greatly,taken care of the men like that..:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.