Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Maintenence Electrician for 11 years now at a 100 employee Union factory doing everything from installing new machines from scratch running power and control wiring as well as plc installation and programming to new lighting, receptacles, replacing motors, troubleshooting ect.
Wisconsin just passed law that we need to be certified so two of us went back to tech school for NEC and got our Journeyman's card. We will be going back this summer again to get Masters. I should have went for that initially, but the other guy only had 5 years in at the time so we both went for Journeyman's. Two of the 30+ year electricians retired within the last 5 years. We never had a licensed Electrician in house. The Electrical Parts rep we buy from weekly has been a licensed master for 20+ years and allways helped us when needed. There are only 3 of us in house, one per shift and new guy going on 3 years now is on 3rd shift.
Our contract is coming up this fall and with the licensing changes and a lot of added automation and job cuts lately we are going to be asking for a raise. We are currently making $23.92hr after a 4 year internal on the job training program.
We are thinking of asking to rework the current 4 step yearly pay increase to base rate, after 2 years, Journeyman, Master.
We typicly take home $60-$65k yr, but thats with lots of overtime after the standard 8hr day 40hr week.​

Does anyone here have a similar union factory electrician job, and if so, how much do you make per hour?
We don't really know how much to ask for, but if this is any indication, our general labor and lift truck operators make $19.16hr and there definitely isn't enough seperation between these unskilled jobs and ours.
The problem is there are more unskilled workers asking for $ amount pay raises every time instead of % raises.​

What would you ask for if you were us?​

Thanks​

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I've been a Maintenence Electrician for 11 years now at a 100 employee Union factory doing everything from installing new machines from scratch running power and control wiring as well as plc installation and programming to new lighting, receptacles, replacing motors, troubleshooting ect.
Wisconsin just passed law that we need to be certified so two of us went back to tech school for NEC and got our Journeyman's card. We will be going back this summer again to get Masters. I should have went for that initially, but the other guy only had 5 years in at the time so we both went for Journeyman's. Two of the 30+ year electricians retired within the last 5 years. We never had a licensed Electrician in house. The Electrical Parts rep we buy from weekly has been a licensed master for 20+ years and allways helped us when needed. There are only 3 of us in house, one per shift and new guy going on 3 years now is on 3rd shift.
Our contract is coming up this fall and with the licensing changes and a lot of added automation and job cuts lately we are going to be asking for a raise. We are currently making $23.92hr after a 4 year internal on the job training program.
We are thinking of asking to rework the current 4 step yearly pay increase to base rate, after 2 years, Journeyman, Master.
We typicly take home $60-$65k yr, but thats with lots of overtime after the standard 8hr day 40hr week.​

Does anyone here have a similar union factory electrician job, and if so, how much do you make per hour?
We don't really know how much to ask for, but if this is any indication, our general labor and lift truck operators make $19.16hr and there definitely isn't enough seperation between these unskilled jobs and ours.
The problem is there are more unskilled workers asking for $ amount pay raises every time instead of % raises.​

Thanks​
whats the union journeyman rate and benefit package in your area, are you union?

·
RIP 1959-2015
39,618 Posts

Thanks​
Looks like your union is screwing you guys big, look here.

You guys should be making double that.

Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Depends on who's representing. I was recently in a plant that the in house electricians were represented by the commercial food workers. Their rate was only $3 above unskilled.

·
Premium Member
19,544 Posts

Thanks​
Did you vote for Scott Walker? Maybe you should ask him. :rolleyes:

·
1st yr. apprentice
62 Posts
Sparky81 said:
I've been a Maintenence Electrician for 11 years now at a 100 employee Union factory doing everything from installing new machines from scratch running power and control wiring as well as plc installation and programming to new lighting, receptacles, replacing motors, troubleshooting ect. Wisconsin just passed law that we need to be certified so two of us went back to tech school for NEC and got our Journeyman's card. We will be going back this summer again to get Masters. I should have went for that initially, but the other guy only had 5 years in at the time so we both went for Journeyman's. Two of the 30+ year electricians retired within the last 5 years. We never had a licensed Electrician in house. The Electrical Parts rep we buy from weekly has been a licensed master for 20+ years and allways helped us when needed. There are only 3 of us in house, one per shift and new guy going on 3 years now is on 3rd shift. Our contract is coming up this fall and with the licensing changes and a lot of added automation and job cuts lately we are going to be asking for a raise. We are currently making $23.92hr after a 4 year internal on the job training program. We are thinking of asking to rework the current 4 step yearly pay increase to base rate, after 2 years, Journeyman, Master. We typicly take home $60-$65k yr, but thats with lots of overtime after the standard 8hr day 40hr week. Does anyone here have a similar union factory electrician job, and if so, how much do you make per hour? We don't really know how much to ask for, but if this is any indication, our general labor and lift truck operators make $19.16hr and there definitely isn't enough seperation between these unskilled jobs and ours. The problem is there are more unskilled workers asking for $ amount pay raises every time instead of % raises. What would you ask for if you were us? Thanks
John Deere?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am union. Everyone in the plant is. Teamsters. We negotiate only our in plant wages for our factory only.
Not john deere but close. Hoping to find out what similar job pays there as its one of the closest similar union jobs.

·
Electron Flow Consultant
3,309 Posts
We have union electrical maintenance jobs here that range from $23 to $29 to start. A few may start at $30. We also have non union maintenance jobs that start at $32 to $35. Here in Washington, you do not have to be licensed to work maintenance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes I am union. Everyone in the plant is. Teamsters. We negotiate only our in plant wages for our factory only.
Not john deere but close. Hoping to find out what similar job pays there as its one of the closest similar union jobs.
John Deere in my area starts electricians out at around $25 an hour.

·
Registered
12,167 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know it's different up here in Canada but I pay my guys $38.50/hr for that kind of work. I have 4 stationed full time at a customers production facility and one full time at another. We are an outside contractor but we have been working full time with the same customers for several years. If we were in house I would predict my guys getting a couple bucks an hour less.

·
antisocial group ******
773 Posts
Friend,

You guys are taking it in the hinder.

Between 29 and 42 depending on how much they expect of you.

If you are working for one of those places that expects you to be an EE for cheap- move on down the road. If you are good, there are jobs available.

23 per gets you a guy with a plunger and a paint brush.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts