Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Hackenschmidt
12,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could wind up in Controversial Talk but I'd like to hear what both employers and employees think of these laws.

'Moment of Reckoning:' New Laws Are Forcing Employers to Share Salary Details With Applicants

Which states have pay transparency laws?
There’s a popular saying: “As California goes, so goes the nation,” and when it comes to salary transparency, the adage holds true. As of Jan. 1, 2018, California’s Equal Pay Act prohibits employers from requesting applicants’ salary history and requires that companies provide a salary range to applicants upon request.

·
Registered
Electrician
455 Posts
I was surprised to see CT on the list, I've never heard of this law. I think as electricians go we can pretty much assess on our own which company's pay better than others. It could hurt smaller guys though if young apprentices find out they could make a dollar or two more with someone else and they won't even have to go behind your back to get the information.

·
Registered
Water treatment plant maintenance
601 Posts
My paycheck is published in the newspaper once a year anyway due to being city government. Personally I don't care if poeple know what I make and I don't care what any body else makes. As far as a salary range on a job opening I think that is important. Who wants to waste there time interviewing for a big fancy job description to learn it's a slum lord company offering 15 bucks an hour.

·
Premium Member
Working With the Tools
1,501 Posts
When I worked for a SH (Years ago) every new applicant was told what each level in the company paid, from $15 an hour entry-level all the way up to the outside salesmen, each of which made over six figures a year. The owner wanted them to know up front what they could expect if they stuck with us and worked their way up. As expected, there was considerable turnover with the entry-level guys... many young guys couldn't take it when they had to do things like load or unload (And stock) a truck full of conduit.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Not to take this down a political wormhole, but I'm not sure i personally think this is something that needs to be accomplished by laws. As with a lot of things I feel real solutions would come better from being driven by the market. In certain economies were jobs are hard to come by I could see employeers having some bargaining chips as far as negotiating salary by not putting it out there. In today's economy with burger flippers making 18 bucks an hour and skilled labor in such shortage I would think all the negotiating power would be in the employees hands. I would rather see it a cultural change were if they don't put the salary range on the posting the just get very few applicants rather than mandated. As with anything laws do nothing without cultural change.

I'm pretty private in general, so I'm not sure I would be thrilled about a spreadsheet going around the office with my name and my salary on it. A position and a salary is a lot better.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,776 Posts
I think a prospective employee has a right to know what he/she is applying for.
A company's most valuable asset is it's employees, so there should be no smoke or mirrors when looking for help.

Looking for a job can be a b**ch. Finding good employees can be a b**tch too. Neither party should waste another's time with lead in nonsense.

I only skimmed the article quickly, I'm talking about applicants here.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Not to take this down a political wormhole, but I'm not sure i personally think this is something that needs to be accomplished by laws. As with a lot of things I feel real solutions would come better from being driven by the market. In certain economies were jobs are hard to come by I could see employeers having some bargaining chips as far as negotiating salary by not putting it out there. In today's economy with burger flippers making 18 bucks an hour and skilled labor in such shortage I would think all the negotiating power would be in the employees hands. I would rather see it a cultural change were if they don't put the salary range on the posting the just get very few applicants rather than mandated. As with anything laws do nothing without cultural change.

I'm pretty private in general, so I'm not sure I would be thrilled about a spreadsheet going around the office with my name and my salary on it. A position and a salary is a lot better.
Yeah but everybody in the office knows your position so it'd not hard to figure out salary.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
EVERY SINGLE taxpayer supported employee in the State of New York... and what their pension is or will be:

www.seethroughny.net

We're entitled to know and they're not entitled to privacy. Teachers, police, firefighters, the librarian and the dog catcher, the mayor and the mower... traffic signal repairmen and administrators of hospitals... even the politicians themselves.

·
Registered
Scada Supervisor
3,796 Posts
As a government employee and someone who hires we have to release to the public what range we pay per job description. We also have to release how much a person got paid the year before and what his position was. So if someone wanted to find out where people are in comparison to a range before hiring they could. There is a site out there that will tell you what EVERY government employee made.

As a business owner I found it made real hardships if an employee knew what other employee's made. You then are put in the position to explain to someone that they don't know as much or are as reliable as the other person. That person then don't put out as much and make as improvement as they could.

As an employee I feel it is up to the employer to set this policy, it don't bother me one way or the other.

As an electrician it make it tough for other departments to know our pay. We make more than most supervisors and low level managers and some resent it.

·
Gold Pliers Champion
2,776 Posts
EVERY SINGLE taxpayer supported employee in the State of New York... and what their pension is or will be:

www.seethroughny.net

We're entitled to know and they're not entitled to privacy. Teachers, police, firefighters, the librarian and the dog catcher, the mayor and the mower... traffic signal repairmen and administrators of hospitals... even the politicians themselves.
Did you even read he article?
It says right in there, that this is already the case for most public sector jobs, in most areas.

The pay transparency laws are more about private employers disclosing what they pay BEFORE the applicant applies for the job and not basing pay on past history.

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Did you even read he article?
It says right in there, that this is already the case for most public sector jobs, in most areas.

The pay transparency laws are more about private employers disclosing what they pay BEFORE the applicant applies for the job and not basing pay on past history.
I have read it, but THIS conversation turned into
My paycheck is published in the newspaper once a year anyway due to being city government. Personally I don't care if poeple know what I make and I don't care what any body else makes. As far as a salary range on a job opening I think that is important. Who wants to waste there time interviewing for a big fancy job description to learn it's a slum lord company offering 15 bucks an hour.
Your paycheck is published, (what you actually earned) or, your grade salary level / position's published salary / range? Because there shouldn't be any confusion.

IOW, I KNOW what the position of Suffolk County Police Officer is paid, on the record. So when one makes 4x that amount and it can be seen he's working in multiple departments (on a joint task force) and each one is "mistakenly" paying him as if he was their own exclusive full time officer, a mistake they used to make in some officer's waning years roughly 3 years before retirement... causing their pension to skyrocket because of the
best 3 of the last 5 retirement payment calculation rule... Ordinary taxpayer Joe's can spot that and put the kibosh on it before it spirals out of control.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I've found that most union's collective bargaining agreements are posted publicly, and they include wages. My company also posts salaries exceeding $75k annually due to some freedom of information act.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
I think that if you are an employer looking for GOOD QUALITY employees - then it is probably in your best interest to post the pay range. Companies that don’t post this usually get looked over for “better opportunities”.

Should it be mandated?….
Do we need more unnecessary laws?…
Can’t the market usually balance itself?…
Does anybody really freaking care???!!!!….

Bruh.

·
Registered
Power distribution and controls
1,135 Posts
Having a salary range posted for the position is fine. The other thing that helps is if the raises are on a schedule as well. I applied for a job with a City and knew that I would be making 10 grand less for the first 18 months. Then I would be back to the then current salary. In 5 years I would top out in the position. Obviously you have to do the job.

I have always been hired in the pack and then got raises out of sequence from the rest of the pack. Having people know what I make would not make me happy. If they want to know then ask.
What comes to mind is what else are they going to "share". This is the government they never do anything right

·
Registered
601 Posts
In the private sector I think an employer should have the right to hire an employee at whatever wage they agree on and give raises at their discretion. Giving a salary range on the job posting I think is good practice, but what good could come from explicitly sharing that you pay bob 12 dollars and joe 15, other than piss bob off even though he struggles to push a broom right. I hate negotiating but I also don't need my hand held. If your not happy with how much you make, learn skills that warrant more pay. If your boss won't give it to you find someone that will. Increase your pay by being worth it, not by demanding equal pay even though you don't have the same skills as someone else.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts