Electrician Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is this nonsense ?? Doesn’t even cover a round blue box or even a single gang box ? Wtf

Is this a foreign thing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Senile Member
I make all the electrons line up for their Flu shots
30,895 Posts

THOMAS AND BETTS 3060 PANCAKE BOX. 3-1/2" DIAMETER. Used often in Aloha Land , supposed to be only one 14-2 allowed per box though which makes hanging pendent lights hard cause two cables in the first couple of the lights.......... I usually just rough the first light with one 14-2, and then rough the other two or three after inspection......... Never had an inspector want to look in the canopy's at final.....

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This won’t work in my application, boxes are installed already. Ceiling is 3 layers thick and finished with fancy woodwork and each box has 2 wires at least.

But why in the world is a canopy this small? What about the thousands of people who purchase pendants just to replace old ones? 99% it’s a 4” box installed in the ceiling.

This is the second time this month we cut in a job and the canopies are 3 1/2”. The lights were imported from Italy last job. This job the boxes has Chinese writing on them.

·
Senile Member
30,895 Posts
Well,,,,,,,, I been doing residential jobs for 44 years and was told not to put 4" boxes above kitchen islands all the way back to the start. So I use 3.5" boxes for over the island or other single point type ceiling lights. They have the 3.5" x 3" deep nail on ones as well as some with a 24" sliding bracket as well. Better luck next time.

·
Senile Member
30,895 Posts
Notice the hanger bars for lights. They almost always have two sets of threaded holes for mounting the bar to the boxes. One set for 4" boxes and one set for 3.5" boxes. Hint hint.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,,,,,,,, I been doing residential jobs for 44 years and was told not to put 4" boxes above kitchen islands all the way back to the start. So I use 3.5" boxes for over the island or other single point type ceiling lights. They have the 3.5" x 3" deep nail on ones as well as some with a 24" sliding bracket as well. Better luck next time.
Have you seen old work ? This application was old work.

The last job was just replacing existing pendant fixtures that has 4” boxes.

It’s poor lighting design IMO. 4.5” minimum to cover all installs. New construction, old work, replacements, or boxes with more than 1 wire !

Common sense not so common

·
Senile Member
30,895 Posts
I'm not trying to start an argument, just passing on sage old advice. For old existing work: New light added to existing ceiling in a spot with no box- Union bakelite clip in old work box- 3-1/2" diameter. If there is an existing 4" hole cut for the old light and you are putting in the smaller base lights- Fast patch drywall patch for drywall ceilings and smaller replacement box. If it's a tongue and grove ceiling I just put a T+B 5080 surface box over the old box . The 5080 just got declared obsolete by Carlon however and they are not making more of them. I managed to score a few dozen of each of the three colors though before they disappear off our shelves completely.

·
Registered
Electrician
934 Posts

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
I've been doing a lot of double/tripple checking fixtures lately for proper listings.. UL for example..

A lot of what people are buying for you to install you can not legally install. Some cheap ass crap not allowed or listed for installation.

Other than that... Only advice I can offer is get a fixture schedule before you quote the job. I learned that after quoting a chandelier that took me 5 hours to install vs. 30 minutes.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been doing a lot of double/tripple checking fixtures lately for proper listings.. UL for example..

A lot of what people are buying for you to install you can not legally install. Some cheap ass crap not allowed or listed for installation.

Other than that... Only advice I can offer is get a fixture schedule before you quote the job. I learned that after quoting a chandelier that took me 5 hours to install vs. 30 minutes.
This happened to me before. I now have multiple brackets for chandeliers that just goes by number of parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts