Electrician Talk banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Oh yeah I'm sure. It's pretty rough in Nassau and the boroughs. We do a lot of work up on the Gold Coast and some gov't buildings in Queens. But I mostly am out doing high end residential in the Hamptons. The shops based out of central Suffolk and we go everywhere.

You got a big shop?
14 different job sites right now

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
Only time I've ever heard of am electrician being referred to as a mechanic is one who normally does service call / troubleshooting calls. It's not an official title.

To me, the ascension is:

Helper / grunt / beeotch
Apprentice
JW
Master

Anything other than that is job- or company-specific.
In High school I worked on a 1/2 day sport fishing boat.

I was a deckhand and helped people bait their hooks.

My first year I was an apprentice baiter.

My 2nd year I was a journeyman baiter...

My 3rd year I was sent to the galley and became a cook.

I never made it to master baiter!

·
Registered
6,960 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
1st year wages. You might as well move to the South.

Everyday on the way to work I drive past broken down communities, industrial parks, ghettos, and backed up traffic with the most insane, angry people on the planet.

And I ask myself... This is where I pay so much to live?

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Everyday on the way to work I drive past broken down communities, industrial parks, ghettos, and backed up traffic with the most insane, angry people on the planet.

And I ask myself... This is where I pay so much to live?
Unless some drastic changes occur on the political front, get used to this new normal. I remember when the Happauge and Brentwood industrial parks were expanding. Now, 1/2 the buildings are vacant or repurposed into gyms or storage. I see vacant storefronts everywhere, and some stores making annual address changes, chasing a better rent or smaller, less expensive space.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Unless some drastic changes occur on the political front, get used to this new normal. I remember when the Happauge and Brentwood industrial parks were expanding. Now, 1/2 the buildings are vacant or repurposed into gyms or storage. I see vacant storefronts everywhere, and some stores making annual address changes, chasing a better rent or smaller, less expensive space.

I don't see how manufacturing plants could survive. It's mind boggling to me how Bohemia, farmingdale, and happauge are still big areas of industry.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I've been an eletrician's helper going on a year now for 2 different Companies .

all the time I see guys come in talking about how they are machanics and want $ 18 /hour but cant read a simple floor plan or they are not creative enough in tricky situations ... they never last long / sometimes it seems like the foreman watches them extra hard but the fake guys never last.

O Community My question is what are the essential skills and qualifications that make you a machanic ? because I know guys who say they've been in the trade for 5years and gets paid what I get ( Helper wage)
Unless it is directly impacting you screw what others do. When I was in your position I worried about myself, the over paid mechanics/electricians/journeymen that lie about their skill level will be found out if they can't carry their weight.

Having said that, when I was asked if I could do something I had never tackled before I always said (and still do) heck yeah I can do that.

I worked with one person that did not qualify as being called anything but a liar. He had 26 jobs one year, several were as superintendent, lied his way through every job interview and pulled it off for a day or two.

·
Super Moderator
16,346 Posts
1st year wages. You might as well move to the South.
I doubt a 4-5 year guy can make that much here. $18 and hour is licensed journeyman pay here.

Having said that, when I was asked if I could do something I had never tackled before I always said (and still do) heck yeah I can do that.
We must have listened to the same people coming up Brian. I was taught, there is nothing you cannot do. Even if you have never done it.

I remember the very first job I worked at right after being layed off from the Railroad. The ad said they needed experienced conduit benders.
I told them I knew how, yet never bent any pipe before.
It was rough the first week or so, but then I started to get pretty good at it.
With a little help from the guys on the job site, I think I worked there for three weeks. :laughing:

·
Electron Herder
314 Posts
I doubt a 4-5 year guy can make that much here. $18 and hour is licensed journeyman pay here.
$18 is typically where we start a 1st year. How can you afford to buy tools, let alone have a family, buy a house, eat food? Even in the South I would expect mid $20s. But NY? Ridiculous. Why be in the trade. A waiter at a mid range restaurant would clear more and not have to buy tools.

·
Registered
659 Posts
$18 is typically where we start a 1st year. How can you afford to buy tools, let alone have a family, buy a house, eat food? Even in the South I would expect mid $20s. But NY? Ridiculous. Why be in the trade. A waiter at a mid range restaurant would clear more and not have to buy tools.

If you knew what I was getting paid at 4 yrs experience you'd probably have a heart attack.

A friend of mine works 4 days a week at a relatively high end restaurant being a food runner. Brings home about 30$ less than I do when I work 6 days a week.

But EC's charge more an hour than the rest of the country. Go figure.

·
Electron Herder
314 Posts
If you knew what I was getting paid at 4 yrs experience you'd probably have a heart attack.

A friend of mine works 4 days a week at a relatively high end restaurant being a food runner. Brings home about 30$ less than I do when I work 6 days a week.

But EC's charge more an hour than the rest of the country. Go figure.
4 days a week, probably 4-6 hours a day. Thought about a career change? Or moving to America?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts