Electrician Talk banner

people claiming exp. they dont have

4K views 59 replies 19 participants last post by  Ink&Brass 
#1 ·
I've been an eletrician's helper going on a year now for 2 different Companies .

all the time I see guys come in talking about how they are machanics and want $ 18 /hour but cant read a simple floor plan or they are not creative enough in tricky situations ... they never last long / sometimes it seems like the foreman watches them extra hard but the fake guys never last.

O Community My question is what are the essential skills and qualifications that make you a machanic ? because I know guys who say they've been in the trade for 5years and gets paid what I get ( Helper wage)

#18 ·
If you're nonunion, and there is no prevalent, recognized and established nonunion apprenticeship program in your area, then I have to imagine the classification of any worker is entirely up to the employer.

If you were a 3rd year apprentice in the IBEW, you'd have a card indicating that, which you couldn't have if you didn't have the time/hours in and passed the advancement tests. Still, that doesn't mean a 3rd year is going to be adept at installing conduit, or complex circuitry, because the field training and experience is really where it's at, and every apprentice working for different contractors on different job sites is developing their skillsets differently.

#7 ·
Only time I've ever heard of am electrician being referred to as a mechanic is one who normally does service call / troubleshooting calls. It's not an official title.

To me, the ascension is:

Helper / grunt / beeotch
Apprentice
JW
Master

Anything other than that is job- or company-specific.

#15 ·
You just don't know us well enough yet, HWD. Stick around for awhile and you will see the real us:thumbsup:

As to your original question.....I knew where you were going with the mechanics term and don't agree with a journeyperson electrician being labeled as such but, I personally hate when people claim experience with tasks that they simply do NOT have.
You can however take some solace in the fact that the lies will soon catch up with the vast majority of those types.

#19 ·
Off topic a little I see most the guys that been around bend pipe... When I first started out I thought it was a lot of measuring... I mean I've only bent half inch but it seems like when it comes to like 2 1/2 and up its like they just put the pieces to the puzzle... A 90 here an off set there simple but that's what they get the big bucks for. I can do that smh

#21 ·
Oh dedicated one, How it goes around here (yes we call them mechanics too, if you call someone a journeyman they laugh at you) the only license in my area is a masters. So, experience fraud is extremely common.

Laborer. - green as fu#%. Dig trenches and organize vans. Learn the parts. Not many of them around.

Helper- you went to trade school or have a year of experience or so. Run wires, make splices, device houses, under extreme supervision, and just do whatever your mechanic says.

Jr. Mechanic- this is what I am. 4-5 years exp. You're pretty much expected to work alone with a skilled mechanic running the job. Connections and outlets and whatnot should NOT have to be checked. How it works for me is, the mechanic says the overview of the work, and how it will be done. Him and I split up, complete the work, and leave.

Mechanic. 5-100000000 yrs experience. In order to be a mechanic you must be able to be sent out alone, and complete any job, pushing through any problems alone. You also, have to be able to run at least a helper (in the earlier years) and then an entire crew as you get to the 7-10yrs mark.

Again, this is how it's been for me in the shops I've been with.

Hope this helps clear up confusion.

#23 ·
I've also noticed HWD that you seem shocked by the mechanic wanting 18/hr. I consider that to be a 2nd year apprentice wage, certainly not the kind of money an experienced JM electrician would expect.

#26 ·
4 to 5 yrs around here would most likely mean that you have finished or are nearly finished of the apprenticeship and you would be making somewhere in the 28 to 40/hr range plus benefits.

#33 ·
The last week or two has been very cold. Lots of snow last night as well. The weather is pretty much identical as it is in New York, Maine, etc......pretty much the same thing all up and down the eastern seaboard. Winter sucks no matter where you are:laughing:

#36 ·
Where I live we refer to anyone that is good at their trade as a good mechanic. It refers to basic mechanical skills that all trades use. You could have allot of technical knowledge but at the brain/hand interface is just not their.
If a person has the brain/hand interface meaning he has the knowledge and can actually put it together then he is a good mechanic.
Allot of engineers don't have the brain/hand interface. They can male it look on paper but don't ask them to put it in.

LC

#53 ·
Unless it is directly impacting you screw what others do. When I was in your position I worried about myself, the over paid mechanics/electricians/journeymen that lie about their skill level will be found out if they can't carry their weight.

Having said that, when I was asked if I could do something I had never tackled before I always said (and still do) heck yeah I can do that.

I worked with one person that did not qualify as being called anything but a liar. He had 26 jobs one year, several were as superintendent, lied his way through every job interview and pulled it off for a day or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.