Electrician Talk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how you guys go about doing jobs that require a permit but dont pull one. Do you still invoice the customer or take cash. Im asking because a customer wants me to wire 3 new air handlers but doesnt want me to pull permit because he is building a wall with out one.what do you seasoned ec'S DO in this case? Thanks again.

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,679 Posts
I was wondering how you guys go about doing jobs that require a permit but dont pull one. Do you still invoice the customer or take cash. Im asking because a customer wants me to wire 3 new air handlers but doesnt want me to pull permit because he is building a wall with out one.what do you seasoned ec'S DO in this case? Thanks again.
I generally make them get a permit but I would bill them regularly without permit. You would be protected better if you got cash.

·
NJ Electrical Contractor
324 Posts
Tell them to pay you cash and do not leave paper trace (Invoice):thumbup::thumbsup::laughing:

·
Registered
15,315 Posts
Jah Electric said:
In minnesota you are legally required to file a permit before any work begins, not sure how that works with service calls but...
Cash and no invoice would be a option in your case I suppose...
And when you forget to file one, believe me it's not hard. It cost double.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
I tell them that a permit is required, and if they get caught I was never there. If I have a bad feeling I walk, or get them to figure out how I can do the work after their "modifications" legit. It's not going to hurt them if your license gets a black mark, and they don't have to go before the board and explain why you didn't get a permit.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
This is where the punishment justifies the crime WildOne

We, as license holders, are subject to a world of scrutiny the non license holders are not

For ex, i've had a few incidents in my town where small biz's used an unlicensed entity on a 'permit ' job.

Both told the state yours truly did the work, when i proved i did not (and the onus of proof was on me btw) both 'perps' as well as businesses suffered zero effects

~CS~

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
New Jersey is filled with all kinds of laws. It's funny, the other day at the supply house I had another electrician tell me that I was in violation because I only had my license number and not my business permit number on my truck, and the lettering isn't big enough (it's a damn magnet, it can't fit big letters).

Here this guy is, worrying about the law coming down on him for the size of lettering on contractor vehicles, yet the same handyman that I reported to the board of electrical contractors is STILL advertising electrical work on Craigslist. He's been advertising it for years, and still doing it- along with many other handymen.

So as a licensed, insured, bonded, and legitimate contractor, you want me to waste hours for each job pulling permits and dealing with inspections while the state openly allows people without licenses to do electrical work (without permits and inspections)? Yeah, ok...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hack I have been noticing the same crap!...craigslist guys all day long spam the site even with fake ec number. However, if I dont pull the permit im in heat with the county.playing by all their rules at times hurts us. Instead of really going after non-licensed guys and giving us more room to compete among the likes.they just slap them on wrist all while we have to fend for our selves in front of the board.

·
animal lover /rat bastard
13,543 Posts
This is where the punishment justifies the crime WildOne

We, as license holders, are subject to a world of scrutiny the non license holders are not

For ex, i've had a few incidents in my town where small biz's used an unlicensed entity on a 'permit ' job.

Both told the state yours truly did the work, when i proved i did not (and the onus of proof was on me btw) both 'perps' as well as businesses suffered zero effects

~CS~
that same thing happened to a buddy of mine. he pulled his license in that jurisdiction because a former employee was pulling permits on his license, and all hell broke loose. I went with him to the board meeting about the matter. Things are changing though, where the ahj's only had teeth before to go after the licensed parties, a lot of jurisdictions around here are writing laws so they can go after the unlicensed parties.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Sorry to chime in , it's the same everywhere.
Because you are legit and depend on your licence to work it gives them power over you with out having to commit man power trying to catch you working without permits.
The handyman holds no licence , therefor they hold no power over him going to work.
Just easier to for them , and typically if there is a fine you probably will have to pay it before you get anymore permits.
Just my take on the BS.

·
Retired Account
39,697 Posts
Sorry to chime in , it's the same everywhere.
Because you are legit and depend on your licence to work it gives them power over you with out having to commit man power trying to catch you working without permits.
The handyman holds no licence , therefor they hold no power over him going to work.
Just easier to for them , and typically if there is a fine you probably will have to pay it before you get anymore permits.
Just my take on the BS.

Thing is Hma, any EC that stays in this game long enough learns to use that BS

My buds that took all those asian fight classes used to tell me it was all about using 'your opponents force against him'

I think of all the bureaucracy we're subjected to in the same vein....:thumbsup:

~CS~

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.