Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing a lot of copper with pex.
The AHJ has said that no consideration has to be taken about the bonding, as far as the sinks. Is he wrong?

·
Administrator
Retired EC
24,061 Posts
The AHJ has said that no consideration has to be taken about the bonding, as far as the sinks. Is he wrong?
IMO, he is correct. If the system is not a metal piping system then no bonding is required

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Had a job a few years ago where pex was used everywhere except one copper elbow

Damn inspector made me bond that one elbow

It was in an inaccessible are that was being drywalled over

Job was already behind schedule and didn't have time to get into a pissing match with him so we did as he asked

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
I believe the term is "likely to become energized".

I mean, what the hell is likely to become energized? If it's likely to become energized, there is a design flaw somewhere. :laughing:

Damn inspector made me bond that one elbow
200A service #4 wire?

I don't care what the schedule was, I wouldn't do something that stupid. It's against my nature :)

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe the term is "likely to become energized".

I mean, what the hell is likely to become energized? If it's likely to become energized, there is a design flaw somewhere. :laughing:

200A service #4 wire?

I don't care what the schedule was, I wouldn't do something that stupid. It's against my nature :)
I agree but "Likely to be energized" encompasses sinks...tubs... and the like that electrical appliances such as toasters, hair dryers, and the like could be used and an accidental connection could possibly occur.

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree but "Likely to be energized" encompasses sinks...tubs... and the like that electrical appliances such as toasters, hair dryers, and the like could be used and an accidental connection could possibly occur.
Come on, guys, I suppose what I am asking for is if there is something inherently wrong with spiraling a wire around the pex to keep all of the system at the same potential. Inspectors, this is for you.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Come on, guys, I suppose what I am asking for is if there is something inherently wrong with spiraling a wire around the pex to keep all of the system at the same potential. Inspectors, this is for you.
Spiraling a wire for grounding or bonding use is a big no-no. :no:

A coiled/spiraled wire will act as a choke coil at the 60hz frequency which means it will not pass enough current to clear an OCPD, will generate excessive heat or both.

I have done all PEX here at the house, with brass elbows and end fittings and have no intention (and see no need whatsoever) to bond any of the brass parts.

A dishwasher will be grounded by it's EGC. Same with a clothes washer, garbage disposal too, (And IMHO the grounded GD will effectively ground/bond a metal sink.)

Bathroom sink fixtures are not a hazard IMHO because of the mandatory GFCI.

Now, if you have an electric water heater (or a gas one with forced draft blower) , IMHO that should have the inlet and outlet pipes bonded since they are metal and likely to become energized by a failing/failed element (or draft blower). (When using PEX one is supposed to use lengths of metal piping of a specified length (around 18" or so) as a "heat sink" to protect the PEX.)

Outside hose bibs of metal are also not likely to be energized so I wouldn't bond them either.

In summary, other than the water heater as noted, don't waste time or money bonding anything. :thumbup:

·
felonious smile.
15,934 Posts
0 that the nfpa doesn't require a metallic bond strip inside pex piping.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
What the hell is pex?
This:

It is a plastic tubing plumbing system, I think PEX is a slang/trade name for the material the pipe is made of (Cross-linked polyethylene).

The manifold in the pic is one of the cool features of using PEX, it's like a breaker box for your plumbing...allows you to shut down selected lines without shutting down the whole house. :thumbup:

And added thanks to theJcK for his post too. :)

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Oh ok. Yeah I've seen it around. How is it? Maintenance/ breakdown etc....
Been told that it is pretty reliable...if it freezes in most cases it just swells like a balloon and once thawed a heat gun shrinks it back to normal size. Very easy to cut and route around obstacles, can have few or no fittings inside walls.

Can be buried in slabs and underground if not exposed to sunlight...

One weak point: cannot be exposed to sunlight as it will break down with excessive UV exposure.

There was a history of bad brass fittings that would break down in certain water conditions, and one (or two) manufacturers had a bad run of pipe and materials that was prone to failure.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Chrisibew440 said:
Oh ok. Yeah I've seen it around. How is it? Maintenance/ breakdown etc....
im unsure about that. heard the crimping tool kinda pricey all i know. the distribution center thing looks cool though.. not seen that in real life yet.. copper still standard in commercial round here. see that in residential in personal experience.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
If a fixture has no chance of being energized, such as all connections being made with pex/pvc, IMO it is less dangerous to leave it floating.

Bonding to ground is a good thing if something can become energized but the downside is that it will create a solid shock point if you happen to touch line voltage at the same time. I have a bad habit of resting my hand on the edge of the bonded kitchen sink when plugging something in or out and I have to make a conscious effort not to do that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts