Electrician Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this subject has been beaten to death here already, but I'm wondering if this would work for this application.

Customer has 2 homes, one is located in Las Vegas. He is not there during the summer, but doesn't want his interior to get damaged from the heat, so he leaves on several AC's set to 85. That plus the pool pump or pumps. His electricity bill is $650. 00, when he not even there. Would the Caps work since these are only inductive loads ? Could this reduce his bill ?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I know this subject has been beaten to death here already, but I'm wondering if this would work for this application.

Customer has 2 homes, one is located in Las Vegas. He is not there during the summer, but doesn't want his interior to get damaged from the heat, so he leaves on several AC's set to 85. That plus the pool pump or pumps. His electricity bill is $650. 00, when he not even there. Would the Caps work since these are only inductive loads ? Could this reduce his bill ?
Caps would lower the VARs, but wouldn't do a thing to lower watt consumption and lower his bill

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. Residential electric costs are based on watt-hours, not VA-hours. So it doesn't really matter what his pf is -- he's not being charged for it anyway.
Caps would lower the VARs, but wouldn't do a thing to lower watt consumption and lower his bill

I didn't know that factories use a different electric meter for VA hours.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It's the utility company's choice -- they have different rates for different customers, depending on what your usage is. But you have to consume a lot more than the average homeowner for them to care about penalizing you for a low pf.

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Is a $650 bill typical for Vegas in the summer? How big is this place?
That's a good point. It's actually pretty high I think. A friend (in nearby Boulder) pays upward of $250/month in the peak of the hot season, which is March through October. His house is about 2400 sq. ft., he says he keeps it set at 81 when nobody is home and 78 when they are. So in theory he would be using more electricity (unless it's a huge house). Might be something else wrong here.

Reactions: MTW

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Cooling 7000 square feet in a blistering hot desert for only $650 sound like a bargain then.
Yep, 3X the house for less than 3X the cost, and my buddy doesn't have a pool. I'd say it's not likely to get lower.

Reactions: guest

·
Electron Factory.Worker
306 Posts
I didn't know that factories use a different electric meter for VA hours.
They usually charge for kvars and often times will hit you with a peak demand charge since their system has to support large demands on the system even if its only for short periods of time.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Hell, last month's electric bill here in Idaho was $268.00 for maintaining heat at only 68 degrees. :eek:

I expect to cut that down a lot next year as I should have all the bad windows (and the very leaky patio door) replaced, ceilings added insulation and interior walls done.

·
Registered
656 Posts
he keeps it set at 81 when nobody is home and 78 when they are. So in theory he would be using more electricity (unless it's a huge house). Might be something else wrong here.
If it were my house, I would set it at 85 degrees during non-occupied mode and also meter certain loads to see if something else is running.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts