Electrician Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Joking bro ! Start by turning off circuit breakers to see if you can kill it.
Yea, old house, assuming the circuit isn't actually grounded even though it looks like it. Again, I'm not crawling in an attic and this is for a friend. I have 110 hot-neutral, 60 hot-ground and 60 neutral-ground. It's not hurting the circuit or anything attached. Im just looking for an explination. Sorry for the facepalm lol, I need to take a joke. It's at outlets

·
Premium Member
7,413 Posts
Those old houses are using the water piping system as the grounding system. If the plumbing has been changed in some places, due to repairs, the plumber may have cut the old galvanized pipes, and abandoned. So your getting a ground through the slab foundation that the pipe is in. A higher resistance connection making a difference in potential, from the service bond.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the earth shows any real potentual,
Then it is most likely floating,
and NOT grounded properly !
Most appliances will still work off this system,
However safety is not at it's maximum !
Yea I understand the ground is floating and looking for it's source but as I said, I'm not a resi guy, and I don't understand why the circuit wasn't grounded and why someone would do this.... Why ground boxes, switches, outlets, and so on if a ground isn't even present. Is this creating more safety hazards or less? Sorry if I seem naive.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
A lot of older homes did not have an earth system,
And like I said, the system will work without an earth,
It might not be quite as safe as you would like it.
But it works.

As for why ?
Probably cost ?
Why pay for three wires, when two will work !.
And in the early days, they did not years of experience to look back on,
And learn from, like we do now days !

If you wan't to earth your wiring, you can add earths.
You could start by doing one circuit at a time,
Or as finances allow.
Don't forget to check your local codes,
As they vary from state to state.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.