Electrician Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly familiar with residential electrical and 3-Phase in my work shop. We are building a summer home, and had to fire the builder. I am completing the small amount of remaining electrical work.

My wife asked me to move kitchen pendents, that are controlled by 3-way switches. I turned the circuit off with one of the switches, and then checked that nothing was hot at the first pendant fixture. To my surprise, I had about 50 volts at the fixture.

To make a very long investigation short. I finally disconnected all of the wires at the switches. i.e. the 2 wire traveler was not connected at either end. I then connected the hot black to one of the traveler wires. At the other end I read a voltage between the two traveler wires of ~50v. If I changed the hot to the other wire, I read a voltage of ~35v. More surprising, with nothing connected to these 2 traveler wires, there was no continuity between them.

Totally at a loss, I ran a new traveler cable, and this did not reappear.

Any idea on what was causing this?

·
Registered
32,772 Posts
What are you measuring this with a digital meter? Then it is most likely Phantom Voltage use an incandescent light bulb and check if the voltage is still there.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I am fairly familiar with residential electrical and 3-Phase in my work shop. We are building a summer home, and had to fire the builder. I am completing the small amount of remaining electrical work.

My wife asked me to move kitchen pendents, that are controlled by 3-way switches. I turned the circuit off with one of the switches, and then checked that nothing was hot at the first pendant fixture. To my surprise, I had about 50 volts at the fixture.

To make a very long investigation short. I finally disconnected all of the wires at the switches. i.e. the 2 wire traveler was not connected at either end. I then connected the hot black to one of the traveler wires. At the other end I read a voltage between the two traveler wires of ~50v. If I changed the hot to the other wire, I read a voltage of ~35v. More surprising, with nothing connected to these 2 traveler wires, there was no continuity between them.

Totally at a loss, I ran a new traveler cable, and this did not reappear.

Any idea on what was causing this?
You're trolling... continue on.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read about phantom voltage, and it referred to voltages around 10v.

It was a digital meter. How does that affect things?

You are correct, in that these pendants did not light at all with this voltage.

·
Registered
32,772 Posts
I read about phantom voltage, and it referred to voltages around 10v.

It was a digital meter. How does that affect things?

You are correct, in that these pendants did not light at all with this voltage.
It can be much higher than 10 VAC, this stuff ain't magic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.