Electrician Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to make sure im good before i get this inspected. On my personal residence, im doing some remodeling and i'm rewiring my range. I had some 4/3 tray cable laying around, so i used that. Its similar to romex except with super thick insulation. The 3 #4 conductors are all black. So, im going to phase tape the nuetral.

Should be good?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nevermind. I still don't see why it wouldn't work, code book wise, other than maybe box fill. Needless to say, i havnt done much residential. So i got that cable in the 2gang plastic box and straight away i could tell it would be an impossibity to those #4's and the 50A recetacle in the same box together........ but for some reason i tried anyway. Some time later, i just gave up and went and bought some 6/3 romex.......... That doesn't want to go in to those boxes together either. The guy that decided 6/3 romex and a 50A recetacle in a 2g plastic box should be standard practice should be kicked in the nuts

Anyway, i got it stuffed in there, so this topic is now kind of moot point

·
Coffee drinking member
I pretwist and then use wire nuts. Solder pots rule.
14,589 Posts
denny3992 said:
I have some 6/4 type W portable power cable, it's good to 2kv if I keep it dry..
I wonder if I could use it for a fart fan?

No offense to the OP, but running cable for a range just got me chuckling as I don't do residential and suc are running rope.
Long live conduit.

Attachments

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have some 6/4 type W portable power cable, it's good to 2kv if I keep it dry..
I wonder if I could use it for a fart fan?

No offense to the OP, but running cable for a range just got me chuckling as I don't do residential and suc are running rope.
Long live conduit.

this stuff is VERY similar to romex, just with thicker insulation. I don't see why it wouldn't work in place of romex, if it weren't for those stupid tiny boxes.

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
jimmy21 said:
this stuff is VERY similar to romex, just with thicker insulation. I don't see why it wouldn't work in place of romex, if it weren't for those stupid tiny boxes.
I don't believe it's listed for concealed use. What's the insulation type and model wire?
I'm sure you could upsize the box, but I think it won't fly past an inspection..

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
Does anyone know what article this installation might violate?

edit: 30 seconds between posts? When did that happen? Did Harry at least get an unlimited "Like" button?

·
HTTR
530 Posts
tray cable needs to be installed in a tray system or raceway

An HVAC contractor on a job just got called on tray cable they ran from a rooftop condensing unit mini split to the indoor unit cable tied to the line set

a residential inspector is not gonna know what it is anyway, he's gonna think you ran SO cord and fail it anyway

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't believe it's listed for concealed use. What's the insulation type and model wire?
I'm sure you could upsize the box, but I think it won't fly past an inspection..
like i said, i already gave up and went and bought some 6/3 romex, so its moot. For discussion sake, its condumex e92686-7. Apparently its mexican, Its the perfect wire to be hacked in by illegals.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tray cable needs to be installed in a tray system or raceway

An HVAC contractor on a job just got called on tray cable they ran from a rooftop condensing unit mini split to the indoor unit cable tied to the line set

a residential inspector is not gonna know what it is anyway, he's gonna think you ran SO cord and fail it anyway

maybe tray cable is the wrong terminolgy, because this stuff is nothing like SO cord. Its more similar to UF cable. Its basically underground and sunlight rated NMB

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
jimmy21 said:
like i said, i already gave up and went and bought some 6/3 romex, so its moot. For discussion sake, its condumex e92686-7. Apparently its mexican, Its the perfect wire to be hacked in by illegals.
LoL, your right, it's perfect if you can install their app and read their book..

Attachments

·
Estwing magic
27,575 Posts
nevermind. I still don't see why it wouldn't work, code book wise, other than maybe box fill. Needless to say, i havnt done much residential. So i got that cable in the 2gang plastic box and straight away i could tell it would be an impossibity to those #4's and the 50A recetacle in the same box together........ but for some reason i tried anyway. Some time later, i just gave up and went and bought some 6/3 romex.......... That doesn't want to go in to those boxes together either. The guy that decided 6/3 romex and a 50A recetacle in a 2g plastic box should be standard practice should be kicked in the nuts

Anyway, i got it stuffed in there, so this topic is now kind of moot point
You guys use a two gang box down there, not a 4 11/16"?

·
Coffee drinking member
14,589 Posts
mxslick said:
The proper re-identification of that cable would be orange tape on the red conductor, and the yellow on the white conductor. :whistling2::laughing: You have lost all my respect now. :mad: :jester:
Now I didn't identify this cable, it's a section I cut off.

2 weeks ago we had a temp trailer mounted chiller arrive for a school.. It has a separate 20hp motor for a pump.. I'll shoot a picture tomorrow.
I was sent over to "Just hook it up" and spotted this cut..
Whom ever used this last, didn't take care when making the cable up..
I never trust other peoples work..

Now as for my re-identification,,, I went with an all green decor.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.